Orioles are closing in on re-signing Nate McLouth accdg to multiple sources.

Greg

Hardy's bat hurts the offense, his OBP is unacceptable, as was his 21 GIDP. He has a poor approach at the plate.

Machado's value is maximized at short, why would you want him in a less useful defensive position?

Most defensive metrics are not kind to Jones in CF, I would suggest RF but Markakis has shown to be unable to play LF at a sufficient level.

IMO Hardy's defense makes up for his bad offense IF he's hitting down in the order where he belongs.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone loved Hardy before last year. He had a really bad offensive year. Worst of his career. He won't be that bad next year.

I still liked Hardy just fine last year. There were MANY years where we all loved Cal for his defense and not for his bat. I agree that he will likely improve this year with the bat. I am on the side of keeping him around until MM develops as a hitter and we find a nice 3B. Why move one of the best defensive SS in the league, when our 3B seems to be a stud defensively as well? If you move Hardy, you may have the same D at SS, but I doubt you find a replacement for 3B as good defensively.

You tell me and others that have an opinion that's different from yours why we should be happy with this move....Oh that's right he had an average 2 months last year and stunk for the previous 2.5 years

1. .777 OPS isn't average

2. If he was platooned against righties, it would have been an .839 OPS, which is well above average.

$2 million for McClouth is a good deal IF he produces like he did the last 2 months of the season. If he reverts back to his ATL form its not a good deal, so to say its a win or loss right now is a tough one to tell. I really hope this doesnt set our OF, am hoping we are still in on Swisher.

If they didn't have Machado playing out of position I would agree with you.
Sure didn't look out of position to me. The kid's a 3B. Best arm I've ever seen in my generation in that position.

I believe his main concern is that Machado won't be able to move back to SS after Hardy is gone. I'm not sure if it's a warranted concern or not because this is pretty unique situation. SS prospects don't usually move to 3B in the majors for their first few seasons, so there aren't really any comparable situations in the past to look at. Whether or not he is able to move back remains to be seen, though I can't see a reason why it would be a problem.

Who plays 3B if Hardy is traded?

Davis? Youk? Someone DD conjures out of thin air?

Hopefully Schoop will be ready at some point in the season.

Machado was great at third last year. The kid should be playing SS. I bet Buster Posey could play a decent third base but you don't see him there.

You tell me and others that have an opinion that's different from yours why we should be happy with this move....Oh that's right he had an average 2 months last year and stunk for the previous 2.5 years

You should be happy with this move because the top outfield free agent (Hamilton) isn't worth what he is going to get. The trade targets that we can get to improve LF cost too much. Reimold can't stay healthy. Swisher would be playing out of position. Bourn would cost a ton and him or Jones are not moving to LF. It made the most sense, it was cheap, and it is a good player to go with Reimold.

Machado was great at third last year. The kid should be playing SS. I bet Buster Posey could play a decent third base but you don't see him there.

He will be playing short. It's not in the best interest of the club for him to right now.

I believe his main concern is that Machado won't be able to move back to SS after Hardy is gone. I'm not sure if it's a warranted concern or not because this is pretty unique situation. SS prospects don't usually move to 3B in the majors for their first few seasons, so there aren't really any comparable situations in the past to look at. Whether or not he is able to move back remains to be seen, though I can't see a reason why it would be a problem.

Dead on it. Machado's projected future build already has some "experts" predicting he won't stick at SS. I am of the opinion that him playing at third will exacerbate this problem and the O's will be "stuck" with an All Star third baseman instead of one of the better players in the game.

Chris Davis? Seriously?

You think Youk + Manny is better than Manny + Hardy?

Archived