Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

I cant remember the article or exact words. However, I believe DD did make a comment someting along the lunes of the Orioles were in the middle of the pack payroll wise, though the bottem thenth is where we should be.

I would love to see that quote. Depending on what a "bottem thenth" is, that is pretty damning and the chances of you being the only one aware of it are pretty slim.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to see that quote. Depending on what a "bottem thenth" is, that is pretty damning and the chances of you being the only one aware of it are pretty slim.

I for one don't pay much attention to what DD says in interviews. In his shoes I certainly would not give out any useful information.

I cant remember the article or exact words. However, I believe DD did make a comment someting along the lunes of the Orioles were in the middle of the pack payroll wise, though the bottem thenth is where we should be.

He said that we were in the middle third but closer to the bottom third than the upper third. It's in one of the MASN articles on the WMs.

This is the exact quote. It was mentioned that the Orioles were ranked in the middle in terms of payroll last season, but Duquette corrected that.

“We have enough money to field a competitive team. We have a foundation for a competitive team and I also know that this past year’s team connected with the fans so people have more interest in the team, which will allow us to be a little bit more aggressive as we put our team together. Be a little bit more aggressive in terms of the amount of money that we can put toward our Major League payroll.

We are closer to the bottom 10 and I don’t think we are going to get in the top 10 anytime soon.

Our market is our market. Our market hasn’t really changed dramatically, but we have connected with the fans so there’s more interest in our market. But the market size, and what’s available to field the team, that hasn’t really changed. What has changed is that our ballclub was good on the field and we’ve connected with the fans so there’s more interest. To focus on a number of where we’re at, that is not going to help us meet our goals. And I don’t think, frankly, I don’t think our fans are that focused on it. We have to compete with teams in the American League East and talking about what we have to put towards it is not going to get that job done.”

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/

Actually it was me who said that. I was looking for it but can't find it. It may have been reported and it may have been DD downplaying our resources. I can't remember where I saw it. Wasn't trying to stir the pot.

I'm pretty sure you knew I meant "tenth". Should I make the check payable to just "Grammar Police"?

I'm pretty sure you knew I meant "tenth". Should I make the check payable to just "Grammar Police"?

I think he was less pointing out your spelling and more pointing out that we were discussing "bottom ten" not "bottom tenth." The bottom tenth would be the bottom three.

In any case, I am confused, since the Orioles were in the middle ten, not the bottom ten. I don't understand DD saying we were closer to the bottom ten, seeing as how we were in the middle ten and, therefore, obviously closer to that segment. Perhaps he meant closer to the bottom ten than the top ten, which was the case in 2012.

With the increases in salary we are looking at, we figure to rank between 12th and 15th in 2013 as things stand now.

Uh, the bottom tenth would mean the bottom three. I didn't think that was what you meant. It honestly didn't occur to me that "thenth" meant bottom "ten". I thought you were going for "third" which would have been what you meant. Sorry.

Uh, the bottom tenth would mean the bottom three. I didn't think that was what you meant. It honestly didn't occur to me that "thenth" meant bottom "ten". I thought you were going for "third" which would have been what you meant. Sorry.

I actually did mean bottom third, ha ha. And I didn't notice I forgot the wink after my post. I wasn't trying to be snarky. No need to be sorry, it was my mistakes.

Archived