Baltimore being serious players for Dickey

Greg

What is the matter with you guys that want this?

This dude is old. i don't want to give anything up for this guy. If he loses speed off that knuckle ball, which he will, he will be a bum. This is a move the old o's would make. has beens, old players. We need a BAT.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This dude is old. i don't want to give anything up for this guy. If he loses speed off that knuckle ball, which he will, he will be a bum. This is a move the old o's would make. has beens, old players. We need a BAT.

Agreed. God forbid his knuckleball drifts into the high 70s in velocity. Everyone knows that the only reason a knuckleball works is pure velocity. That's why it's nicknamed "the fastball" by people in the know.

I agree. I love the assumption that X team is going to win because they signed or traded for Y and Z. The Orioles were in the playoffs last year and the Angels, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, etc., were home watching it on TV. And the Rangers with Mr. Hamilton lost their one game playoff with the O's. I would be willing to slot the Dodgers in the postseason right now, but several of the teams that are making headline grabbing deals now will be watching the playoffs on tv in 2013.

You also have to remember that the guys the blue jays signed arent what they used be. But also it would be naive to think the Os are making the playoffs again with the same roster as last year. Last year wasnt about our talent, it was something else. We arent winning a record amount of 1 run games again. The Os need too add a consistant bat to the lineup to contend again.

A lot of my hopes for 2013 are riding on Manny and Bundy becoming huge factors for this team. Manny could easily hit 25 HRs and hit .280. But i still have no clue how bundy will pan out

Agreed. God forbid his knuckleball drifts into the high 70s in velocity. Everyone knows that the only reason a knuckleball works is pure velocity. That's why it's nicknamed "the fastball" by people in the know.

Do you think he will have the same command of the pitch if he loses significant velocity?

Yup. 38 year old knuckleballers are way past their expiration date. :rolleyes:

I don't think Dickey is a one year wonder, but I don't want to give up significant pieces to see him in an Orioles uniform. If we can make a smart deal for him, great, but otherwise we should roll with the pitching that we have. We could always add a veteran innings eater to be our 5, if Dan and Buck aren't content with relying on Britton, Johnson, or another of the young guys.

You keep stating he has several good years ahead of him. What if he is a 1 year wonder? He has been an under .500 in his career before this year.

W-L record is an awful indicator of a pitcher's quality.

He's been very good for several years, and has taken another step forward. He should be above average for another year or two, minimum.

I still wouldn't trade the farm for him though.

Archived