Baltimore being serious players for Dickey

Greg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be so quick to say that- as a knuckleballer, even a non-traditional one like Dickey is, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to remain dominant(or close to it) for 2 or 3 more years.

I would much rather see him end up in Texas or LA. Anywhere that isn't our division.

This is about where I am at. I'd rather see Dickey go elsewhere.

Are we hoping that an extension occurs?

I don't understand why the Blue Jays are trading such a bounty for Dickey + extension. Why not take your chances of resigning him in during the season and if not offer him arbitration and take the pick since he wants to sign multiple years at the same price as the arbitration offer.

Sounds like the deal is contingent on an extension. So 3 years of Dickey (even a 2/30 extension works out to (3/35) since he's only owed 5M for this year. That's a frontline starter at best, a #2/#3 innings eater at worse for reasonable money and 3 years. They are giving up a catcher who put up impressive numbers in the PCL, he's good/not great defensively and is unproven at the ML level. They are also giving up a really nice pitching prospect in Syndergard who is probably 2 years away, at least. The other prospect is supposed to be non-elite. I believe the 4th player is John Buck who would have been a 6M backup catcher on the Jays who still have the cheaper Mathis and Thole (coming from the Mets) for that job. Excellent trade for the Jays. Undetermined for the Mets. With an extension in place, I would have expected the Mets to get Gose as well.

I agree with this. Having Dickey under contract for three years is the kicker. At the least he's a high-end #3, and he'll be a nice innings-eater for them.

Sounds like the deal is contingent on an extension. So 3 years of Dickey (even a 2/30 extension works out to (3/35) since he's only owed 5M for this year. That's a frontline starter at best, a #2/#3 innings eater at worse for reasonable money and 3 years. They are giving up a catcher who put up impressive numbers in the PCL, he's good/not great defensively and is unproven at the ML level. They are also giving up a really nice pitching prospect in Syndergard who is probably 2 years away, at least. The other prospect is supposed to be non-elite. I believe the 4th player is John Buck who would have been a 6M backup catcher on the Jays who still have the cheaper Mathis and Thole (coming from the Mets) for that job. Excellent trade for the Jays. Undetermined for the Mets. With an extension in place, I would have expected the Mets to get Gose as well.

Mathis was sent to Miami in the blockbuster deal. Toronto will also apparently send money to cover Buck's salary.

Gose is apparently off the table because of d'Arnaud and Syndergaard.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that- as a knuckleballer, even a non-traditional one like Dickey is, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to remain dominant(or close to it) for 2 or 3 more years.

I would much rather see him end up in Texas or LA. Anywhere that isn't our division.

This is about where I am at. I'd rather see Dickey go elsewhere.

NIMBY.

o

Dickey is not going to sign an extension with Toronto in my opinion. If he was he would have done it by now. The Jays know what kind of money he wanted from the Mets. The price is probably going way up to go to Canada. Not everyone wants to cross the border and play there. The Mets can find a team in the U.S. he would agree to a trade with. It's not complicated. If Toronto wants him bad enough they will take him for one year. If you are Toronto do you still want him if he doesn't want to extend with you? I wouldn't but Toronto is trying to win in 2013 it appears.

According to the NY Times this morning Dickey asked for 2 additioal years with the Mets for about 26 million, Toronto has a 72 hour window to try and get him to sign a extension so Toronto has a idea of his demands, though the higher tax rates in Toronto may change them. Plus some players just don't wanna play in Toronto. One thing I got from the article was Dickey appears to be a great guy and he went thru a struggle to get where he is and The Mets showed him 0 respect.

Archived