Baltimore being serious players for Dickey

Greg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wakefield's record in his 40's was 49-46. I would hardly call that very successful. Plus Wakefield was making $4 million a year or less. Dickey is going to cost alot more in both money and the players to obtain him.

Wakefield only had 4 seasons in 19 years with below a 4. ERA, with his last one coming when he was 35. I would rather say Wakefield was consistent well into his 40's. He was never really a dominate pitcher. However, what was his residual effect for the next game? Did he help the next pitcher out buy screwing up the timing like some on here mention? I know that when Dickey pitched, this team was screwed up offensively for 2 days. Could have been coincedence, but they looked bad.

Wakefield only had 4 seasons in 19 years with below a 4. ERA, with his last one coming when he was 35. I would rather say Wakefield was consistent well into his 40's. He was never really a dominate pitcher. However, what was his residual effect for the next game? Did he help the next pitcher out buy screwing up the timing like some on here mention? I know that when Dickey pitched, this team was screwed up offensively for 2 days. Could have been coincedence, but they looked bad.

One of those two games was against Johan Santana who, when on, tends to make teams look bad.

Wakefield's record in his 40's was 49-46. I would hardly call that very successful. Plus Wakefield was making $4 million a year or less. Dickey is going to cost alot more in both money and the players to obtain him.

How many pitchers win almost 50 games after their 40th birthday? Dickey has a great knuckleball and his fastball is 10 times better than Wakefield's fastball. It's very possible that he will remain a TOR starter for several more years, and remain effective well into his 40s.

How many pitchers win almost 50 games after their 40th birthday? Dickey has a great knuckleball and his fastball is 10 times better than Wakefield's fastball. It's very possible that he will remain a TOR starter for several more years, and remain effective well into his 40s.

True

It is also true that his success is due to a knuckleball thrown at much higher velocity then the norm. It is very possible that the loss of a few MPH will greatly diminish his effectiveness.

Dickey is a trailblazer, there is no guarantee that he will age like the knuckleballers before him.

True

It is also true that his success is due to a knuckleball thrown at much higher velocity then the norm. It is very possible that the loss of a few MPH will greatly diminish his effectiveness.

Dickey is a trailblazer, there is no guarantee that he will age like the knuckleballers before him.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk- just that being 38 isn't as much of a concern for a knuckleballer as it is for a fastball-first type of pitcher. I think he's got a good chance of competing for another Cy Young before he begins to drop off.

I wonder how many offers include:

Hoes

Strop

Schoop

Hoes, strop, schoop and Maybe Avery if they include Wright.

I would prefer to see Toronto give up a ton to get him than see us get him for whatever he'll end up costing.

MAYBE Avery... if they include Wright? That package alone probably wouldn't get Dickey himself. Wright isn't some throw in like Avery pretty much is.

Yeah, people really seem to overestimate the value that Hoes and Avery have. They're C+ prospects, and that might even be a little generous.

I see them as replacement level outfielders, kind of like Mclouth. Wait, if we had two replacement level outfielders, then why did we spend $2m on another one?

Archived