Nationals taking advantage of their MASN money

WallyB8

I could be way out of line on this but I am just a little frustrated. I did not want Soriano but the Nationals are spending money where needed to take their team to the next level. I would just like the Orioles and the Angelos group to spend something to build on this young team. I understand we have Roberts, Markakis, and Reimhold coming back but 2 of the 3 are major question marks and where does it leave us if neither can produce or stay healthy. We no longer have Mark Reynolds which I am not upset about but the we have nobody to help protect Markakis and Jones. I am just concerned going into this season as our offense was not great last year and we have done nothing to improve on that. The Orioles upper management want their fans to buy and buy and buy some more but do not want to spend to make us buy. We all loved last year as it was a dream season. I was excited when Peter Angelos said he would do whatever it takes to make this team better. Obviously that was a P.R. thing to make him look better in the public eye. Peter has a strict leash on DD and is only looking to line his pockets with this team and not make it better. I am and will always be the biggest, die hard oriole fan you can imagine but seeing the Nationals spending money and making a great team even better is frustrating.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be more pissed if we signed Hamilton to a 5 year deal and then Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman all regress and we have 72 wins with Hamilton hitting cleanup until he is a 37 year old on a team that overachieved.

I don't think we overachieved, and if Billy Butler was a free agent I'm sure the O's would go after him. I just don't see any top free agents in this years class that were worth investing in, and so far the trade demands have been too high. If our core (Jones, Wieters, Davis, Machado, Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman, etc) are as good as we want them to be, and think they can be, then we are an 80-90 win team without a top signing this offseason. I think the Nationals are a little bit more confident that they are here to stay then the Orioles should be, at this point of each teams progress. So I don't think it's really fair to compare the two.

I'd be more pissed if we signed Hamilton to a 5 year deal and then Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman all regress and we have 72 wins with Hamilton hitting cleanup until he is a 37 year old on a team that overachieved.

I don't think we overachieved, and if Billy Butler was a free agent I'm sure the O's would go after him. I just don't see any top free agents in this years class that were worth investing in, and so far the trade demands have been too high. If our core (Jones, Wieters, Davis, Machado, Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman, etc) are as good as we want them to be, and think they can be, then we are an 80-90 win team without a top signing this offseason. I think the Nationals are a little bit more confident that they are here to stay then the Orioles should be, at this point of each teams progress. So I don't think it's really fair to compare the two.

You're "sure" the Orioles would go after Billy Butler if he were a free agent?? I'm 100% positive they wouldn't. Why? Because as a good young hitter, he would demand a far higher salary than this owner and organization care to spend on any free agent. To think that there was not one player out there that could improve this team is laughable. There always seems to be a reason why the Orioles don't sign any quality free agents. For years it was, "Just wait until the team is in contention, then Angelos will open his purse strings!" Now the cry is..... "There just weren't any free agents who would help the team this year." Or, "All the free agents were overpaid this year." Does anyone really think the cost of quality free agents will be going down in the forseeable future?

Or the owner might be dipping into his personal worth of 3.9 Big.

Plus Scott Boras say that talent has no wristwatch. He drives to Lerners's house and beeps his horn out side the gate until he is let in. They drink tequila shots until he signs the contract to get Scott off the hook for opting out of his 14 per a year for the Yankees. and of course all this money is deferred. Lerner realy thinks he is ulimately getting much more MASNCASHMONEY and I am not so sure. Boras is the devil.

You're "sure" the Orioles would go after Billy Butler if he were a free agent?? I'm 100% positive they wouldn't. Why? Because as a good young hitter' date=' he would demand a far higher salary than this owner and organization care to spend on any free agent. To think that there was not one player out there that could improve this team is laughable. There always seems to be a reason why the Orioles don't sign any quality free agents. For years it was, "Just wait until the team is in contention, then Angelos will open his purse strings!" Now the cry is..... "There just weren't any free agents who would help the team this year." Or, "All the free agents were overpaid this year." Does anyone really think the cost of quality free agents will be going down in the forseeable future?[/quote']

I didn't say there were no free agents that would improve the team. I said there weren't any worth investing in. I don't think the cost will be going down, but I think signing Butler to a 5 year deal wehre he would be 31-32 at the end of it is a little different then signing Hamilton to a 5 year deal where he will be 36-37 at the end of it. Not sure how that is so hard to understand.

I personally would rather wait until July, hope that one or two of Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Johnson or others have a really good start to the season, and ship them out for a top bat at the deadline if we are in contention.

Wait, how does everyone feel about our owner?

And I don't think of Boras as the devil. He's really good at his job. I bet he finds someone willing to shell out for Bourn soon enough.

He's overrated. If you are a client and elite he will do you right. If you are not his results are mixed. My guess is that Lohse would have been better off accepting the qualifying offer.

According to one report I saw (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening-day-mlb-payrolls-to-exceed--3b-for-first-time--dodgers--jays--nats-see-biggest-spending-increases-224840102.html), the Nationals 2013 projected payroll was estimated to be at around $113M. That's up around $31M (or 39%) from their 2012 OD payroll of $81M. And that was before the Soriano signing. So, I guess you could lump another $14M to that, which would put their estimated 2013 OD payroll at $127M, up $45M from their 2012 OD payroll.

But fear not fellow O's fans because, like Mr. Angelos said, "now that we have an RSN and we can move forward with it...that is going get us on a more even plane with Boston and New York [and heck, even the Nationals], and that was the purpose."

The same report did estimate the O's would up their payroll to around $92M, a 13% increase from their 2012 OD payroll of $81M.

You think the Orioles are just as much of a sure thing to compete in 2013 as the Nationals are?

Archived