Nationals taking advantage of their MASN money

WallyB8

A few points:

Learner is really rich:)

The Soriano deal isn't as bad you think, much is backloaded. That may just put the Nats over the top. Not such a bad deal, then huh?

Angelos made out like a bandit with MASN and no it isn't in your head, he kept that money and us fans are suckers.

And yes, many threads can be summarized by your comment:

Oh... it would cripple our farm system for generations to sign Adam LaRoche! Etc. Gah.

On a positive note, I do believe Buck Showalter is the best signing this team has made in decades, let's hope they don't screw that up.

I don't understand what Pete wants to do with that MASN money if not invest it in winning now. He's not getting any younger! Agreed on Buck as absolutely critical. But I actually think that long-term, DD could turn out the more important signing. :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Angelos won't spend more than Angelos wants to spend no matter the circumstances.

- Other owners are less risk-averse.

- Maybe the O's are run pretty terribly, and make less of a return on their revenues than other team.

- The Nats probably anticipate a lot more revenues from attendance (good team), MASN or other TV (their market suggests this).

It really just boils down to Angelos not maximizing and using revenues as freely/well as other teams.

So it's a combination of things. I wonder if Angelos really just needs a new, more effective CEO - a business person. Not sure who's running that side now (didn't it used to be Joe Foss?). But that could help to explain at least part of his lack of willingness to spend. Regardless, even if the Nats have a better marketplace - it's not THAT much better. And we've been here for generations longer. There's really no excuse for the Orioles not having a $100 million payroll. Not that having one guarantees anything or means anything by itself.

But perhaps I should rephrase. There is no excuse for the Orioles not having a $100 million payroll, and spending that in the most effective way possible.

Archived