Nationals taking advantage of their MASN money

WallyB8

I mean it's one thing to sign a guy.

It's not clear to me (a) that Soriano was needed by the Nationals or (b) that he's worth 28 mill over the next two years and let alone have that vesting option for a 3rd year. The Nats also lost a 1st round draft pick to the Yankees in this deal. I get that people are frustrated by the offseason but there really weren't a ton of options of places to upgrade.

That Nats just spent $79 million total on a 32 year old 1st baseman and a 33 year old Bullpen arm. $26 mill of that which will be on next year's payroll. And while I want to see Peter spend, I don't want us to spend money for the sake of spending money.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't care what their payroll is. Their 120 million dollar payroll is largely there because of STUPID deals to Werth and Soriano. But they are GOOD because of their cheap guys like Harper, the Zimmermans and Strasburg.

Soriano deal isn't as dumb as it first looked. Fully half of it is deferred money. Looks like Soriano's main goal was to be "the highest paid reliever".

The only justification for the inactivity of the O's is that Angelos doesn't want to open up his check book.

I've come to accept that, but all of these "Bad free agent class" arguments are just misguided. Clearly there are players out there that could improve the team, we just didn't pay for them.

Basically, I'm okay with ending the Angelos-is-cheap talk, but let's also end the justifications for his lack of spending, too. He doesn't want to pay and we can't make him.

The only justification for the inactivity of the O's is that Angelos doesn't want to open up his check book.

I've come to accept that, but all of these "Bad free agent class" arguments are just misguided. Clearly there are players out there that could improve the team, we just didn't pay for them.

Basically, I'm okay with ending the Angelos-is-cheap talk, but let's also end the justifications for his lack of spending, too. He doesn't want to pay and we can't make him.

Who are the FA you would have wanted? When other teams want Bundy plus in trades well I don't want the O's

to do that. There still may be deals made. Could be during ST or July. I am not worried about this season. Just

be glad when it starts. Go O's

I believe the reason we are not spending, isn't Angelos but Duquette. Dan's seems determine to build up the minor league system and he will not sacrifice draft picks. He has his people in the organization now and wants a couple years of building a supply chain of young talent. The core plus some bit pieces can compete with anyone in the Ameican League East. I am sure as spring traiining approaches and teams start to have arms go down you will see one of our out of option guys get dealt. Small efficient roster moves.

Archived