Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

I have nothing to add. Got this news late yesterday. It makes this entire last season so much sweeter. I honestly believe one reason Oriole fans are so knowledgeable about baseball is that for a generation, they had the smartest, best manager in modern history.

RIP Earl

Shawn

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boswell's remembrance of Earl in the Washington Post is pretty powerful with lots of insight into the man, not just his approach to the game but to life.

ww.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/earl-weaver-words-from-a-baseball-master/2013/01/19/8e320e6c-626a-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story_1.html

Dan Duquette:

"It's a sad day. Earl was a terrific manager," Orioles vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said. "The simplicity and clarity of his leadership and his passion for baseball was unmatched. He's a treasure for the Orioles. He leaves a terrific legacy of winning baseball with the Orioles and we're so grateful for his contribution. He has a legacy that will live on. Earl Weaver stands alone as the greatest manager in the history of the Orioles organization and one of the greatest in the history of baseball."

Peter Angelos:

"This is a sad day for everyone who knew him and for all Orioles fans. Earl made his passion for the Orioles known both on and off the field. On behalf of the Orioles, I extend my condolences to his wife, Marianna, and to his family."

ESPN Classic Remembers Earl Weaver

In celebration of the life and career of Baseball Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver, ESPN Classic will carry a special lineup of memorable moments featuring the beloved Orioles skipper beginning on Sunday, Jan. 20, at midnight ET. The tribute programming includes Game 1 of the 1970 World Series and the Woodie’s World special, “The Earl of Weaver.”

Ken Nigro details Earl's Last day.

I love this:

In the days leading up to his death, Nigro said that Weaver, although weak, still showed his famous tenacity. The cruise involved many game nights, and Weaver became incensed during one game of Jeopardy, arguing the score of the game.

“He was questioning the score,” Nigro said. “He was like, ‘It’s not 4-3, you lost that point. It’s still 3-3.' He just started complaining. It was the old Earl Weaver all over again. He had that competitiveness until the end.”

Unfortunately as a 22 year old I never got to watch Earl. The amazing thing about baseball, and specifically the Orioles, is that a baseball fan of this team can appreciate the history and the legacy of a former player or manager without ever watching them. I hear stories, and see videos of Earl Weaver and Brooks Robinson. And although I never watched them, I can understand that they were at one time to someone as Cal Ripken Jr. was to me. My wish is that I can meet some of the other Orioles legends (Brooks, Frank, Eddie, Cal) before they pass away.

Archived