Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

Greg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is suppose to be special programming starting at midnight tonight on ESPN Classic about Earl and Stan Musial.

Very sad news today. He was the manager when I starting watching the Orioles. RIP Earl.

Why is the 1970 World Series in black and white? I thought the world turned to color sometime in the 1960s.

Nothing more to add...it's so sad to see the legends of the game pass. Musial and Weaver on the same day, I teared up when I heard about it. Baseball will never be the same as the days that Earl patrolled the dugout and managed the field. God Bless you Mr. Weaver.

This is a really sad day for Orioles fans. In my opinion, the greatest manager who ever lived. Haven't really talked to my family about it because my grandmother, "Maw" fell down and broke her hip two days ago. I'm from Virginia, but my whole family is from around Baltimore, Maryland is essentially my state as well, and for the most part, where I grew up. Earl Weaver was before my time, but I remember him from tales regaled. Maw loved that little man. She had her operation. She seems good, haven't talked to her, or my Pops about Earl yet, I know they will be devastated, but I'm sure they are getting fired up for tomorrow, 6:30. Go Ravens, go Earl, go O's, go Maw.

As we were walking past the Warehouse going to FanFest yesterday morning, some guys were talking about it rather matter of factly. I was shicked. Wife and I were in tears as they played the tribute at FanFest.

Rest in Peace Earl....we all love ya!

On a side note, I'm a little pissed that Earl barely got a headline on ESPN's page but now that Stan Musial died, he's dominating the front page and has nearly buried Earl's "in memorandum". At least MLB.com has them both 1-2 and had Earl alone for a bit earlier today.

I think Earl would be ok with that. He was the first to admit that great players were the only reason there were great managers.

Archived