So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

Those numbers would probably have BRob hitting at the bottom for the order with Markakis and McLouth hitting at the top.

That would be fine by me.

Since a career ave. year from McLouth would be: .248 .335 .421 .756 20 SB I don't know why.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is just ST but it sure means something in Robert's case. If he was 0-11 you can bet we'd all be saying we were right and he was toast. He's making a statement so far this spring, at least offensively. Looks like he might have something left after all. Last year he looked awful and had no power at all and he looked scrawny. This spring he looks like he's worked out quite a bit and he's getting results. I'm impressed.

Absolutely. For a lot of guys you just want to see them not get hurt early in camp and be making progress toward being ready for the beginning of April. With Roberts it is more important to see that he can still play. Getting off to a quick start certainly helps ease the worry, though it's also important that he be doing it at the end of camp as well.

And it's not just about stats, it's about how does he look - does he have the bat speed, how is his reaction time, can he play at an acceptable level. I for one am very encouraged so far. I always had hope but that is a far cry from a realistic expectation. Now I am officially cautiously optimistic about Roberts' ability to help the Orioles this season.

Let me play devil's advocate only so long as to point out that five games into his regular season play last year, B-Rob was 7 for 22 (.318)--No XBH, but the pitching was certainly tougher.

Rooting for Brian, of course, and it would be a great story, but I thought it should be pointed out.

Let me play devil's advocate only so long as to point out that five games into his regular season play last year, B-Rob was 7 for 22 (.318)--No XBH, but the pitching was certainly tougher.

Rooting for Brian, of course, and it would be a great story, but I thought it should be pointed out.

Getting your Brob hate on, huh.

It is certainly not Oriole treason to point out that 15 early spring plate appearances doesn't make a great player. Even if he's an Oriole lifer trying to make a nearly unprecedented comeback.

.240 or better AVG

.310 or better OBP

.330 or better SLG

10 or more SB

300-400 AB (may be a stretch)

Slightly below replacement level or better at defense.

The above would be a significant upgrade over Andino's production last year, especially considering the availability of defensive replacements late in games. I'd take it in a heartbeat considering our difficulties at 2B offense recently.

Basically if he can be the 2011 Andino with a little less defensive prowess but more walks I'll be happy.

If Roberts plays like that, he should be on the bench.

This is assuming of course that Casilla or Flaherty can't outperform those figures. Liked what Ryan showed at the end of last season, not sure if he can keep it going. Notice those numbers are better than Casilla's performance last year.

.240 or better AVG

.310 or better OBP

.330 or better SLG

10 or more SB

The above would be a significant upgrade over Andino's production last year, especially considering the availability of defensive replacements late in games. I'd take it in a heartbeat considering our difficulties at 2B offense recently.

Basically if he can be the 2011 Andino with a little less defensive prowess but more walks I'll be happy.

I would be happy with a drop of about 20 points off his career numbers.

That would be about a .260 average, .330 on-base, and .390 slg. That would put him slightly above league average in batting avg and on-base and slightly below league average in slg. I would like to see him hit above average doubles. This production would be better than what we got last year at second base and is probably better than any of the other current options for second base.

I am not sure about the stolen bases. I always liked Roberts aggressiveness, but that is one aspect of his game that he may have to moderate. Players made of glass should not take those chances. If he proves to be durable during the season, then I could see him taking more chances later in the season.

On defense, I would just like to see him make the sure-handed plays that he needs to make. His range just needs to be close to average.

.240 or better AVG

.310 or better OBP

.330 or better SLG

10 or more SB

No, it really wouldn't be. That's basically what Ryan Theriot did last year, give or take a few runs on defense, and he was arguably less valuable than Andino (-0.4 rWAR vs -0.1). If Roberts has a .640 OPS and a -5 glove he'll be one of the worst regular second basemen in baseball.

Archived