So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

No, it really wouldn't be. That's basically what Ryan Theriot did last year, give or take a few runs on defense, and he was arguably less valuable than Andino (-0.4 rWAR vs -0.1). If Roberts has a .640 OPS and a -5 glove he'll be one of the worst regular second basemen in baseball.

How did out second basemen combined rate last year?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did out second basemen combined rate last year?

Terrible. Only the Tigers had a worse OPS out of their second basemen, and the O's bb-ref fielding total was -4 at 2B. They were sub-replacement overall.

So, yea, if Roberts were to go out and give them 140 games of a .630 OPS with -5 defense it would be an improvement. A tiny improvement over a decrepit baseline.

Terrible. Only the Tigers had a worse OPS out of their second basemen, and the O's bb-ref fielding total was -4 at 2B. They were sub-replacement overall.

So, yea, if Roberts were to go out and give them 140 games of a .630 OPS with -5 defense it would be an improvement. A tiny improvement over a decrepit baseline.

Yes, but if he's doing that in the leadoff spot then the overall effect to the team's performance would be mitigated. ~100 extra PAs. Maybe still a tiny improvement. I'd be fine with BRob at 2B if he's hitting 9th and trying to start something for the top of the lineup. Machado-Hardy-Roberts is a capable back of the order.

If against all odds, he starts churning out doubles and SBs, then put him at the top. Putting a player in a lineup spot out of respect for what they did in years past crushed us in 2011. And in 2011, Vlad and Derrek Lee were capable hitters far more recently than Roberts.

For Spring Training, his hitting so far implies that he can at least hit AAA/AAAA pitching. Frankly, I'm pleased with that since I wasn't even sure he was capable of doing that anymore at this stage. We'd definitely be freaking out if he was 0 for the Spring so I'm going to take some small consolation that he's doing alright so far.

Yes, but if he's doing that in the leadoff spot then the overall effect to the team's performance would be mitigated. ~100 extra PAs. Maybe still a tiny improvement. I'd be fine with BRob at 2B if he's hitting 9th and trying to start something for the top of the lineup. Machado-Hardy-Roberts is a capable back of the order.

If against all odds, he starts churning out doubles and SBs, then put him at the top. Putting a player in a lineup spot out of respect for what they did in years past crushed us in 2011. And in 2011, Vlad and Derrek Lee were capable hitters far more recently than Roberts.

For Spring Training, his hitting so far implies that he can at least hit AAA/AAAA pitching. Frankly, I'm pleased with that since I wasn't even sure he was capable of doing that anymore at this stage. We'd definitely be freaking out if he was 0 for the Spring so I'm going to take some small consolation that he's doing alright so far.

Completely agree. Against righties, bat Markakis leadoff, McLouth 2nd, and Roberts 9th. Against lefties, go Markakis leadoff, Reimold 2nd, Roberts 9th. Only move Roberts up after he's earned it. It's particularly important to get off to a good start this season, especially since we open against a weak Twins team and then a series against the Rays.

I don't think that's an acceptable performance out of any lineup slot, and barely a measurable improvement over last year. If it's June and Roberts is OPSing .600 or .630 with mediocre defense they need to find a different guy to play second.

I don't think that's an acceptable performance out of any lineup slot, and barely a measurable improvement over last year. If it's June and Roberts is OPSing .600 or .630 with mediocre defense they need to find a different guy to play second.
His OPS isn't that important, his OBP is. If he is getting on base, you want him towards the top of the order because we don't have many who do that. If he isn't, then we don't want him in the lineup.

What do you have against Roid Rob?

I'm nigh certain that Mr. Roberts was involved in the kicking of both of my canines....

But seriously, I'm was doubter. I still am. It's been a very tough road for him the last several years. He sure does looks great early on though. It would be awesome if when he goes north as our starting second baseman that he also has demonstrated himself to be the best option on the roster.

I'm a little bullish on Flareghty going forward, but I would love to see a healthy, productive B-Rob up top of the order again.

His OPS isn't that important, his OBP is. If he is getting on base, you want him towards the top of the order because we don't have many who do that. If he isn't, then we don't want him in the lineup.

A 600 OPS doesn't leave any room for good OBP, unless he's somehow hitting like .240/.360/.240, in which case he still shouldn't be getting any regular at-bats.

A 600 OPS doesn't leave any room for good OBP, unless he's somehow hitting like .240/.360/.240, in which case he still shouldn't be getting any regular at-bats.

Would you like to bet he has an OPS over .600 this year if he played in at least 100 games?

If Roberts has a .270 slugging percentage he's going to be hard pressed to have an acceptable OBP. I'd say an acceptable OBP from a guy with almost no other skills is maybe .330. Since 2000 there have been 12 regulars with an OBP of at least .330 and a SLG of less than .325. Or about one per year in all of MLB.

And you're saying it's ok if he OPSes .630 or even .600. Which means he'd have to have a .310 or maybe .300 OBP to be even marginally ok on-base wise. Desi Relaford's 2000 is the only player in that timeframe to OBP > .310 while slugging .300 or less.

Sucker bet, if he has an OPS less then .600 he won't get into a 100 games.

If Mark Reynolds can turn himself into The Magic Toe, who's to say Roberts couldn't become The Mark Belanger of Firstbasemen? Shift Davis to DH, move Roberts to first, Casilla steps in at second, and he might break Jiggs Donahue's record of 2.8 rWAR in a season where he OPS'd .594 at first base.

Or not.

Archived