Showalter Likes What He Sees in T.J. McFarland

OFFNY

McFarland has looked better and better as spring training has progressed. I'm starting to think he'll make the club. If Hunter and McFarland are both in the pen, Buck has two guys who can go 3+ innings, one rights and one lefty, plus it gives him two lefties in the pen. And, if McFarland disappoints, we can always offer him back or offer a trade.

Showalter Likes What He Sees in T.J. McFarland O:smile11:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put me down as skeptical about McFarland long term, but I will admit he HAS looked better and better. Was rooting for Britton and Stevie Johnson to have

some sort of role but its apparent to me that its a numbers game and those two with Jake are the odd men out. Still two weeks to go..lots can happen.

I am actually surprised about how well he has done and looked. Could be a fluke, but it appears not to be at this point.

Good reminder by Roch today that, if the O's want to keep McFarland but send him to the minors, it is not as simple as just working out a trade with the Indians. He'd also have to pass through waivers.

Speaking of confusion, let me explain how the Orioles could keep or lose Rule 5 pick T.J. McFarland.

The Orioles would have to pass him through waivers and offer him back to the Cleveland Indians before they could send him down to Triple-A Norfolk. Any team claiming him would have to keep him all season, as the Orioles did with Ryan Flaherty last season. The rule doesn't change simply because McFarland changes teams.

Also, the Orioles can trade McFarland, but again, the team acquiring the left-hander would have to keep him on the roster all season or pass him through waivers and offer him back to the Indians. The Orioles could attempt to work out a trade with the Indians, which would enable them to send down McFarland. But again, he'd have to pass through waivers first.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/03/this-that-and-the-other-49.html

I'd understand why if we moved Hunter. But I would love to see what he brings to the table in one full season in the pen before we move him. I just can't get over how hard he throws. I was so used to watching him throw 89 MPH cutters - AKA meatballs.

I just don't want another David Hernandez situation. We lost a very valuable arm there.

On another topic, the consensus is that Arrieta will be sent down? I thought he was the leading candidate for the 5th starter.

I'd understand why if we moved Hunter. But I would love to see what he brings to the table in one full season in the pen before we move him. I just can't get over how hard he throws. I was so used to watching him throw 89 MPH cutters - AKA meatballs.

I just don't want another David Hernandez situation. We lost a very valuable arm there.

On another topic, the consensus is that Arrieta will be sent down? I thought he was the leading candidate for the 5th starter.

Yea, the bullpen really suffered last season without him. What with having the highest WPA in history and all.

Good reminder by Roch today that, if the O's want to keep McFarland but send him to the minors, it is not as simple as just working out a trade with the Indians. He'd also have to pass through waivers.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/03/this-that-and-the-other-49.html

I don't think that is true. The purpose of trading for McFarland would be to remove him from the Rule 5 rules. If they did that the O's could use the options he has remaining which I believe would be three.

Here is what Baseball Reference has to say about it:

Occasionally drafting teams will return another player in lieu of the waiver fee if they wish to keep the drafted player in their organization, but send him to the minor leagues during that first year's obligation. This effectively negates the Rule 5 draft by converting the acquisition of the Rule 5 eligible player into a trade, rather than continuing with the Rule 5 obligations of the drafting team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Rule_V_Draft

Yea, the bullpen really suffered last season without him. What with having the highest WPA in history and all.

Do your responses always have to be overly sardonic? David Hernandez emerged as one of the best relievers in baseball last year. Regardless of how well they did last year, in a bullpen that mainly pitches to contact, it'd be nice to have his 13 K/9 and 1.02 WHIP.

My post wasn't a bust on our bullpen, it was recognizing how great Hernandez turned out to be and we saw glimpses of it at the end of 2010 before we traded him. We have seen a glimpse of a great arm in Tommy Hunter.

I wouldn't say consensus yet, but it's getting there. Jake has given up 0 runs but Brian's K/BB is much better. Jake still seems to be nibbling. Brian is attacking hitters.

Do your responses always have to be overly sardonic? David Hernandez emerged as one of the best relievers in baseball last year. Regardless of how well they did last year, in a bullpen that mainly pitches to contact, it'd be nice to have his 13 K/9 and 1.02 WHIP.

My post wasn't a bust on our bullpen, it was recognizing how great Hernandez turned out to be and we saw glimpses of it at the end of 2010 before we traded him. We have seen a glimpse of a great arm in Tommy Hunter.

Hernandez for Reynolds was a solid trade, even if Reynolds did under perform. Any time you can turn a bullpen arm into an everyday position player you have to seriously consider it. Bullpen arms are pretty easily replaceable. You do realize that Strop and O'Day were both waiver claims right?

It's a little confusing but I think Roch is right. The Orioles can work out a trade for McFarland BUT not before he goes through waivers again, so every team has a chance to claim him under the original Rule 5 rules (must keep him on 25 man roster all year). If McFarland were to pass through waivers the O's could work out a trade but if he gets claimed it's their tough luck. Here's a case which is the exact example of what we are talking about. Read carefully though. The Twins were able to work out a trade for Scott Diamond after he passed through waivers.

http://aarongleeman.com/2011/03/29/twins-trade-billy-bullock-to-keep-rule-5-pick-scott-diamond/

It appears the Twins knew what they are doing. Diamond is now a staple in their rotation and the Bullock is still in the minors...he walked 56 in 59.2 innings last year between AA and AAA...WOW.

It'd be great to work out a trade for McFarland, but I'm not sure who we could give up for him. Hopefully not much.

Hernandez for Reynolds was a solid trade, even if Reynolds did under perform. Any time you can turn a bullpen arm into an everyday position player you have to seriously consider it. Bullpen arms are pretty easily replaceable. You do realize that Strop and O'Day were both waiver claims right?

Strop came over in the Mike Gonzalez trade. And a pitcher with the K-caliber of David Hernandez would never be a waiver claim.

Your missing what I'm getting at. All I'm saying is that we had David Hernandez under control long term and he's turned into a very dominant reliever. We have seen what Tommy Hunter can bring to the table in the bullpen. I would like to see a full year of it instead of moving him like we did with Hernandez.

I never did like giving him up for Reynolds.

It appears the Twins knew what they are doing. Diamond is now a staple in their rotation and the Bullock is still in the minors...he walked 56 in 59.2 innings last year between AA and AAA...WOW.

It'd be great to work out a trade for McFarland, but I'm not sure who we could give up for him. Hopefully not much.

Give up Avery.

Archived