I'm pretty excited about Adrian Marin

Frobby

He's looking like a bust because of 50 AB with a low OPS despite putting up an .856 OPS last year?

Starling is 20 games into his age 20 season and has a solid mid-700s OPS in 289 professional PAs. He was a consensus top 50 prospect about three weeks ago. Calling him a bust seems about 2-3 years premature.

Our top 4 picks (1) Gausman, (2) Kline, (3) Marin, and (4) Walker are all off to nice starts. Of course, at his age, even moreso for Marin.

It's been a long time since that has happened hasn't it? It's really nice to see the top draft picks do well initially instead of having to find excuses as to why they are having a problem adjusting to pro ball.

Not entirely. He's 20 years old. Even guys like Avery and Hoes were in High A at that age. Starling was held back from full season ball last year, all year, a little unusual for such a high pick. Even with that .856 OPS, he struck out 70 times in 200 AB's last year, another red flag. Certainly 50 AB's is much too soon to draw conclusions. Let's just say that 22 strikeouts in his first 49 AB's in low A is a little bit worrisome.

If I had to bet one way or the other, bust or success, I'd go for bust right now. Of course, maybe he can be developed?

All major red flags for me! Too early to throw around the bust word yet, but he's got major bust chances.

If they're still thinking of Rutledge as a starter, he could be at extended spring getting stretched out. When I saw him last summer, his stuff was incredible in the first inning but as early as the second it fell off a ton. Like, three to four miles per hour off the fastball. He's also got some control issues, so he's definitely a bit of a project for a college kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived