Would you put Machado in the category of Harper/Trout?

ChaosLex

Does Machado belong in the same category as Harper or Trout?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Does Machado belong in the same category as Harper or Trout?

Machado is the best fielding 3B I have ever seen. I was too young to see Brooks. It seems like every game he is making a spectacular play that the "average" 3B would not have made. His defense must be about 30 runs better than someone like Reynolds already. I hope the O's keep him at 3B, why mess up a good thing.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people would be well-advised to put opinions comparing Machado to Trout/Harper into the right context.

If you look at a young Jeter versus a young Pujols, for example, the comparison shouldn't really be close. Jeter's still a HOFer, but he didn't have any freak tools.

Machado might also be a HOFer one day, but the Trout/Harper comparisons aren't even limited to HOFers. They're related to the best to ever play the game. If both are healthy and have longevity, they're up there with Griffey Jr. and Bonds (ignore roids) w/r/t potential.

I think people would be well-advised to put opinions comparing Machado to Trout/Harper into the right context.

If you look at a young Jeter versus a young Pujols, for example, the comparison shouldn't really be close. Jeter's still a HOFer, but he didn't have any freak tools.

Machado might also be a HOFer one day, but the Trout/Harper comparisons aren't even limited to HOFers. They're related to the best to ever play the game. If both are healthy and have longevity, they're up there with Griffey Jr. and Bonds (ignore roids) w/r/t potential.

I don't agree. First I'm not ready to compare either Harper or Trout to Pujols. Second Manny has amazingly good AB for a 20 old. Much better than AJ has as a 27 YO, and better IMO, than either Trout, or Harper, because they both are trying to hit HR all the time. And Manny will switch to SS in a couple of years and be every bit as good there as he is at 3B, thereby increasing his defensive value. I would not trade Manny for either of the other two. He really is the best SS since ARoid.

Random question for stotle not Os related...

You think Harper has a better arm then Frenchy?

Haven't seen Francouer this yr. Off of past looks, I like Harper is better overall, taking all aspects into account. Not sure about pure velo.

Interesting little article from the DC point of view: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/05/14/harpers-starpower-overpowering-manny-machados-success/

I actually think Manny has gotten a lot of notice from the national baseball press. Baseball tonight has talked about him on multiple occasions and I've read several articles. DC folk and sports fans around the league who aren't in tune with baseball might not know him yet but that is fine by me. Also, the article notes Harpers position change but fails to note Manny's (though Manny's is probably an easier move). I think Manny has more physical maturing to do than Harper. Harper added a good amount of weight this offseason and I think Manny has more room to fill out still in that respect.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, Buster Olney puts Machado in the same discussion.

I informally polled a bunch of talent evaluators around the sport about how they would rank the three players, and based on their answers, Machado already is viewed as a player comparable to the other two -- and there already is concern over Harper’s ability to stay healthy.

Total number of votes: 9. Points are based on 3-2-1 system. Here are the results:

Trout: 22

Machado: 17 1/2

Harper: 14 1/2

Some of the comments:

AL evaluator: “I would keep Machado at No. 3 only because the other two guys are center fielders, middle of the diamond capable; so their premium positon value keeps them at the top of the list for me.”

NL evaluator: “Over the long haul, I think Trout's body composition could diminish some of his speed and explosiveness. I know this is a small, nitpicky distinction. I actually think Machado is the most skilled of the three. The other two are just such phenomenal strength/speed athletes.”

AL official: “I still take Trout first because he just impacts the game at another level on offense, bases, and defense (despite this year’s numbers which I think will reverse again). Machado is really good and actually I think is the best bet of the three for the longest and most productive career -- the best bet for the Hall of Fame because of the length of career and numbers he’ll pile up and there are so many directions he can go in as he ages -- right side of infield, outfield, etc.. But I think Trout contributes more wins in his best years than Machado in his best years. ... Somebody has to be third and it’s Harper for me (as it would have been last year) because of the effort in his game and long-term durability concerns.”

NL official: “It's closer between Harper and Machado than it was in the past, but Harper is still so young and talented it gives me pause to put even Trout ahead of him. However, Trout impacts the game in so many ways and is so good he's the best player in baseball right now and could be for the next 10 years. Harper has a higher upside, if not less certainty than Machado, and given their ages and all the development that remains all this ranking is about at this point is upside.”

NL executive: “I’d have Machado at No. 1 because he is more graceful, with flowing athletic skills -- poised and athletic easy-action skills are able to make adjustments as required for longevity, like Jeter and early A-Rod, and like Chipper Jones’s graceful swing.

“Trout and Harper are both physical strength guys who have linebacker mentality. They may go through injuries and also may struggle later (5-7 years from now) like Kirk Gibson, Bo Jackson. Gibson played as a regular from age 26-32 and then his decline started. Bo had a football injury. Grady Sizemore is similar to a Harper. The mentality to be overly physical hurts players, and outfielders have more wear and tear physically.”

source - Olney, Insider

Archived