How long before we give Matusz another shot?

Mr Snuffleupagus

Why is now the time.? If we don't look at Jurrjens and Wada now, we have to ley them walk by mid June. Why are you so certain Matusz will be more effective than either of those two? We aren't short on options yet. By my count we have 4 or 5 yet before we need to think about Matusz.

By "now", I meant within the coming 3-5 weeks. We only have 3-1/2 starters right now. The rotation today is Hammel, Tillman, Gonzo (blister), Garcia (how long is he gonna last), and... Jurrjens? Ok, maybe Britton gets another start, but he's walking a ton of batters in AAA.

To me, Matusz has the best chance of any of our options to be a long term solution, he's getting paid like a SP, his pedigree was that of a TOR, and he's now proven he can get out ML batters in short appearances. I'd like to see if he can maintain his effectiveness over an extended outing before we let him walk in 2014.

You're right, it might not be today or tomorrow, but I think the opportunity will be there in the coming weeks and it's worth a shot.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tommy Hunter gained 7mph+ on his fastball out of the pen. I think they're different cases. Sure, there are a lot more David Hernandez's then there are Derek Lowes, but I think before you let him walk next season, and while we're short on options, now is the time to give it a shot. There's plenty of time to put him back in a relief role if things fail. I agree he's below Wada (if healthy) but that is yet to be proven.

Tell Hunter to throw like he does in the pen, see what happens. It is not the first choice for our next start, but its a reasonable thing to try. I'd love to see if he can throw 98 mph for 7 innings. And somehow have 2 plus off speed pitches.

Chances are he can't do it for more then 40 maybe 50 pitches, but there's only one way to find out.

Both Hunter and Matusz should be last ditch efforts.

We have far too many options to take a reliever and to attempt stretching them out going forward.

If you haven't noticed, we are approaching last ditch when Freddy Garcia and Steve Johnson makes starts in the same week then our best starter (thus far) goes on the DL.

Not there yet, but the limit is approaching zero.

By "now", I meant within the coming 3-5 weeks. We only have 3-1/2 starters right now. The rotation today is Hammel, Tillman, Gonzo (blister), Garcia (how long is he gonna last), and... Jurrjens? Ok, maybe Britton gets another start, but he's walking a ton of batters in AAA.

To me, Matusz has the best chance of any of our options to be a long term solution, he's getting paid like a SP, his pedigree was that of a TOR, and he's now proven he can get out ML batters in short appearances. I'd like to see if he can maintain his effectiveness over an extended outing before we let him walk in 2014.

You're right, it might not be today or tomorrow, but I think the opportunity will be there in the coming weeks and it's worth a shot.

In 5 weeks Chen could be back. Within that time Jurrjens and Garcia need to get looks. And in 3 weeks Wada could well be ready. After that I want to see Johnson, Britton, and Arrieta again, before I go to Matusz , and then I do so only if I don't think Gausman is ready. By then it will be Sept.

Also, if you're going to stretch Matusz out, I'm not sure what the best venue for that would be: Long relief or Norfolk.

That's the logistics part of it to me. It would be very difficult to effectively stretch Brian out as the long man. The opportunities just don't line up well enough.

If you send him to AAA you burn his last option. I would LOVE to see him get a chance to start but he is very effective doing what he's doing right now. Let him train to start this offseason and then give him a chance to start next ST.

If you haven't noticed, we are approaching last ditch when Freddy Garcia and Steve Johnson makes starts in the same week then our best starter (thus far) goes on the DL.

Not there yet, but the limit is approaching zero.

Sure, but the time and effort (and depletion to the bullpen) that it'd take to turn Hunter or Matusz into starters (without even knowing how deep or effective they would be) isn't worth it.

We have options in the minors.

I think Matusz may be sent down to stretch out when the pen gets full. If Garcia keeps being lights out for 2 or 3 innings but can't consistently get through 6 innings, then he belongs in the pen. If Wada is more effective as a reliever than a starter. That is when I think Matusz gets sent down to get ready to return as a starter.

I think Matusz may be sent down to stretch out when the pen gets full. If Garcia keeps being lights out for 2 or 3 innings but can't consistently get through 6 innings, then he belongs in the pen. If Wada is more effective as a reliever than a starter. That is when I think Matusz gets sent down to get ready to return as a starter.
So you have given up on S. Johnson, Britton, and Arrieta, and wouldn't give them looks again, even if they are pitching well at Norfolk? Do you really think Buck and DD feel that way?

So you have given up on S. Johnson, Britton, and Arrieta, and wouldn't give them looks again, even if they are pitching well at Norfolk? Do you really think Buck and DD feel that way?

I would definitely look at Matusz before Britton and Arrieta. S. Johnson will hopefully get a couple more starts so that will play into whether he sticks as starter or moves to bullpen or gets sent back down. Britton has shown nothing so far this season to warrant another chance. He was not impressive in ST, he hasn't done much in minors and still is lacking control there and had a bad start in his one MLB game. He is at the bottom until he starts to show longer signs of improving his control. Arrieta was doing well in minors but has hit a snag with a possible injury that hopefully is minor. But he has not impressed in his chance this year so I would put him just above Britton right now.

Wada will show whether he deserves a shot once he has rehabbed. He may also be moved to the bullpen instead of starting once it is time. A lot will depend on how he looks during his rehab assignment.

I think Matusz should get serious consideration in a few weeks if the 5th starter situation still looks bad and especially if we still do not have a solid 4th option or even third option if Gonzalez's blister causes lingering problem, which sometimes happens and Chen is not looking ready to return.

I would definitely look at Matusz before Britton and Arrieta. S. Johnson will hopefully get a couple more starts so that will play into whether he sticks as starter or moves to bullpen or gets sent back down. Britton has shown nothing so far this season to warrant another chance. He was not impressive in ST, he hasn't done much in minors and still is lacking control there and had a bad start in his one MLB game. He is at the bottom until he starts to show longer signs of improving his control. Arrieta was doing well in minors but has hit a snag with a possible injury that hopefully is minor. But he has not impressed in his chance this year so I would put him just above Britton right now.

Wada will show whether he deserves a shot once he has rehabbed. He may also be moved to the bullpen instead of starting once it is time. A lot will depend on how he looks during his rehab assignment.

I think Matusz should get serious consideration in a few weeks if the 5th starter situation still looks bad and especially if we still do not have a solid 4th option or even third option if Gonzalez's blister causes lingering problem, which sometimes happens and Chen is not looking ready to return.

If Wada doesn't look effective, if Jurrjens doesn't pitch well in 2-3 starts, if Garcia doesn't pitch well in 2-3 starts, if Johnson is not looking better after 2-3 starts in Norfolk, if Hammel doesn't pick things up, if Chen has to go on the 60 day DL, if Gonzo doesn't get over his blister, and If Gausman suddenly goes backwards in Bowie, then I'd think about stretching Matusz out. But I don't think all those things are going to happen Maybe a couple of them, but not all of them.

Question for anyone. Wada's last extended ST start was 7 no-hit innings. No BBs so it may have been 7 perfect. I don't know what level of hitters he was facing but 21 straight is still pretty great. Should we be VERY encouraged by this?

You thought this might happen out of spring training. It didn't happen then and it's not going to happen. Two reasons. Matusz is an integral part of the bullpen and the O's don't view him as better than all of the other options (Johnson, Jurrjens, McFarland, Wada, Arrieta, etc.) that they have.

Also, I doubt the O's will want to burn Matusz's last option, which would really hurt his trade value.

For the record, I like Matusz's chances as a starter better than anyone's on that list, except maybe Wada. But I think you have to give Jurjjens his shot, as the O's are now doing. He's probably as ready as he'll ever be, and he has that June 15 opt out, so we may as well find out now what he's got.

Also, I doubt the O's will want to burn Matusz's last option, which would really hurt his trade value.

For the record, I like Matusz's chances as a starter better than anyone's on that list, except maybe Wada. But I think you have to give Jurjjens his shot, as the O's are now doing. He's probably as ready as he'll ever be, and he has that June 15 opt out, so we may as well find out now what he's got.

I think the price tag hurts his value more than a lack of an option year. Most teams don't like paying $1.5+M for a player in AAA. But the Orioles could send him down for three starts (50, 70, 90 pitches) and recall him within a 20 day window and save the option year.

Archived