How long before we give Matusz another shot?

Mr Snuffleupagus

I think you are seriously overlooking the fact that Matusz has not been asked to throw more than 25 pitches in his current role.

Here are Matusz's career pitch count numbers:

I 	      Split 	G 	PA 	AB 	R 	H 	2B 	3B 	HR 	SB 	CS 	BB 	SO 	SO/BB 	BA 	OBP 	SLG 	OPS 	TB 	GDP 	HBP 	SH 	SF 	IBB 	ROE 	BAbip 	tOPS+Pitch 1-25 	104 	489 	442 	43 	115 	18 	0 	18 	0 	1 	36 	109 	3.03 	.260 	.318 	.423 	.741 	187 	9 	3 	4 	4 	1 	8 	.304 	84Pitch 26-50 	67 	421 	377 	56 	105 	21 	4 	13 	1 	1 	37 	71 	1.92 	.279 	.347 	.459 	.806 	173 	10 	4 	0 	3 	2 	5 	.311 	100Pitch 51-75 	65 	417 	365 	57 	103 	25 	0 	14 	2 	2 	43 	76 	1.77 	.282 	.354 	.466 	.820 	170 	5 	0 	5 	4 	2 	2 	.319 	104Pitch 76-100 	57 	327 	297 	46 	90 	17 	2 	13 	2 	0 	25 	54 	2.16 	.303 	.357 	.505 	.862 	150 	2 	1 	2 	2 	2 	4 	.332 	113Pitch 101+ 	19 	43 	39 	9 	12 	3 	1 	2 	0 	0 	4 	6 	1.50 	.308 	.372 	.590 	.962 	23 	0 	0 	0 	0 	1 	0 	.323 	136

I think we can all see the trend. This spring, as soon as he was stretched out he began to struggle. So why weaken our bullpen just to see if Matusz can do something he's failed out consistently in the major leagues?

I think Matusz has found his niche in the major leagues. Maybe a team like the Astros or Miami would take a look at him again in the rotation, but some guys are just better as relievers and Matusz looks like one of those guys. The Orioles are contenders this year. Don't mess with success in order to conduct an "experiment."

My concern for the starting rotation is on several levels.

1) Tillman is a good starter. Maybe an ace in the future.

2) I like Gonzo a lot but I will be really interested to see how long it takes him to get completely past the blister problem.

3) Hammel scares me. Last year was his first good year and he has not been a good 2nd half pitcher. Something is throwing his control off and I don't know what it is.

4) Chen - Lat problem can drag on. 4 weeks can turn into 8 weeks. It concerning.

Maybes:

5) Garcia - Has shown he doesn't belong as a starter IMO. He could be a reliever. But I am not even sure of that.

6) Jurrjens - Deserves an opportunity but he is at a disadvantage. His knee will never be as good as when he was successful. The question is what can he do with what he has left. Is it enough to stay in the rotation?

7) Wada appears to be a month away. Then is he a starter or a reliever. Its a open question.

8) Steve Johnson. Liked what I saw last year. My sense is that he needs to be at the top of his game to start in the majors. He doesn't appear to be yet. Its a wait and see when he reaches that point.

9) Arrieta was sent down to find himself. Then a shoulder problem. Where is he now? Another open question.

10) McFarland - I don't see the O's stretching out the rookie until maybe September. The move from long man to starter for a Rule 5 guy who can't be sent down is a little tricky.

11) Britton - Shoulder problems, blister problems, nail problems. We haven't seen him 100% healthy in a long time. I am waiting.

12) Gausman - Is a starter when the O's decide he is ready. Probably 2nd half sometime.

13) Stinson and Clark are the longest of long shots.

So what that all boils down to is two healthy starters, one on the mend, one out for 4 to 6 maybe 8 weeks, a rookie that will be on innings limit who may arrive in the second half and a bunch of maybes. I'm not comfortable with that. I want more options and if Matusz can start, I would like to see him get the chance.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matusz does appear to have gotten a better feel for his changeup this year. That makes him much more capapable against RHB's. As much as I'd rather not move Matusz, I think Wildcard makes a convincing case and that we do need to be looking at all options ..... and that includes Matusz.

What is the worst that can happen? He fails and gets sent back to the bullpen? You are not any worse off.

With the state of the starting rotation right now it's kind of absurd that Brian went from almost winning a job as a starter out of spring training to not even being given a chance now.

What is the worst that can happen? He fails and gets sent back to the bullpen? You are not any worse off.

With the state of the starting rotation right now it's kind of absurd that Brian went from almost winning a job as a starter out of spring training to not even being given a chance now.

The biggest issue is how do you effectively stretch him out. You can't really do it at the major league level, so you would have to send him to the minors for approximately three starts. You can't simply place him in the rotation and expect him to be successful.

The biggest issue is how do you effectively stretch him out. You can't really do it at the major league level, so you would have to send him to the minors for approximately three starts. You can't simply place him in the rotation and expect him to be successful.

How many side sessions would it take to get him stretched out? 1-2? You can always start throwing him for two or three innings out of the bullpen as well rather than having him as just a situational guy. I'm sure he will get plenty of opportunities with the starters we are putting out there right now.

I wouldn't expect him to go more than five in first outing at maybe a an 80 pitch count.

Why not? I'm sure he could give us 70-80 pitches in a few days. Just keep rotating that extra bullpen arm to make sure we can cover him.

More than ever, I think this has to happen, Matsuz has to be given a chance at getting back into the rotation. We need every option or our vaunted BP won't matter because they will be burned up.

Wish Matsuz would have been used for 2 innings tonight.

DFA Garcia, bring up a Johnson type to split innings with him.

Honestly, at this point I'm ready for DD to work the magic he worked last year. Time to think outside the box.

How many side sessions would it take to get him stretched out? 1-2? You can always start throwing him for two or three innings out of the bullpen as well rather than having him as just a situational guy. I'm sure he will get plenty of opportunities with the starters we are putting out there right now.

I wouldn't expect him to go more than five in first outing at maybe a an 80 pitch count.

You run the risk of severely wearing out the bullpen if you have to piggyback someone with Matusz to stretch him out in the majors while also having one to three other starters that can go more than 5 innings.

Right, of course, but it still should happen. The minors may be the answer, do we have someone who could come up and give us his few innings a week until he is ready?

You run the risk of severely wearing out the bullpen if you have to piggyback someone with Matusz to stretch him out in the majors while also having one to three other starters that can go more than 5 innings.

Just call up a long man to replace one of our 3 2B.

Archived