How long before we give Matusz another shot?

Mr Snuffleupagus

I think the price tag hurts his value more than a lack of an option year. Most teams don't like paying $1.5+M for a player in AAA. But the Orioles could send him down for three starts (50, 70, 90 pitches) and recall him within a 20 day window and save the option year.

:scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the price tag hurts his value more than a lack of an option year. Most teams don't like paying $1.5+M for a player in AAA. But the Orioles could send him down for three starts (50, 70, 90 pitches) and recall him within a 20 day window and save the option year.

Not a bad idea -- though I'm sure the Orioles won't do it.

Matusz is doing good in the role he is in. Upsetting that apple cart should be the last resort IMO.

Wada I think should get the opportunity. By all accounts he was regarded even more than Chen and while you cant be sure how he will bounce back from his injury, recent history suggests he could be every bit as good as he was before.

Think you have to look at him and give him a shot when he is ready. Till then you use Garcia, Britton, Johnson, Jurrjens, Arrieta....you dont go making more problems by moving Matusz to the rotation.

Matusz is doing good in the role he is in. Upsetting that apple cart should be the last resort IMO.

Wada I think should get the opportunity. By all accounts he was regarded even more than Chen and while you cant be sure how he will bounce back from his injury, recent history suggests he could be every bit as good as he was before.

Think you have to look at him and give him a shot when he is ready. Till then you use Garcia, Britton, Johnson, Jurrjens, Arrieta....you dont go making more problems by moving Matusz to the rotation.

I agree Wada should get his shot as soon as he's ready. He was not more highly regarded than Chen, though.

Tell Hunter to throw like he does in the pen, see what happens. It is not the first choice for our next start, but its a reasonable thing to try. I'd love to see if he can throw 98 mph for 7 innings. And somehow have 2 plus off speed pitches.

Chances are he can't do it for more then 40 maybe 50 pitches, but there's only one way to find out.

I think the Oriole brain trust--and El Gordo--already know what would happen. Hunter is best used in his current role.

If Wada doesn't look effective, if Jurrjens doesn't pitch well in 2-3 starts, if Garcia doesn't pitch well in 2-3 starts, if Johnson is not looking better after 2-3 starts in Norfolk, if Hammel doesn't pick things up, if Chen has to go on the 60 day DL, if Gonzo doesn't get over his blister, and If Gausman suddenly goes backwards in Bowie, then I'd think about stretching Matusz out. But I don't think all those things are going to happen Maybe a couple of them, but not all of them.

Thanks for spelling that out for some of the futile regressionists here.

Yes, he is doing great in the pen, however the O's could use another option in the rotation. Considering that Matusz could probably be ready go 5 to 6 innings in about 15 days, that looks pretty attractive at the moment in light of:

Chen - probably out for 4-6 weeks

Wada - will probably take a month to be ready and then we don't know if he is a starter or a reliever in the majors.

Gausman probably not ready until the second half.

Hammel and Gonzalez have not pitched to their potential yet.

Garcia is ready to be replaced in the rotation and no one has step up to take his place

Jurrjens is just beginning his starting opportunity, so there is some uncertainty there.

The O's pen is currently the best in AL and with Burnett there are 8 relievers. Burnett could stay and Matusz to go get stretched out. I am not saying that Burnett is as good as Matusz but he may be able to hold down a relief spot for a while.

What do you think?

He's shown for several years that he's not much of a starter. So now we're going to create a hole in the back end of our bullpen for the sake of an (at best risky) assumption that he can suddenly turn into a solid starter?

If DD or Buck thought Matusz has the potential to be a starter he would have been a starter out of Spring Training.

Considering that he is being paid 1.8 million to be a 1 batter, maybe 1 inning guy, I think his days with the O's are numbered.

I thought he should be a starter from the beginning of the season and I'm looking forward to the day he is back in the rotation. He can't be worse than Garcia or Hammel....

You must be kidding... are you forgetting that he has the record for worst starting pitcher in the history of baseball in 2011.

I think DD/Buck realize that Matusz isn't a starter.... would be nice if we could fool someone else into believing he is to increase his trade value.

I don't think he will be with the O's next year... maybe not after the trade deadline.

Archived