Intentional Talk

jcook02

Do you take Heyman's word as gospel? What would be dense would be to have the source say something to the effect of "we'll do anything to get Garza."

Garza would be my second choice behind Peavy. I'm not too interested in Nolasco unless there is an injury.

What if one of the Chicago teams ask for Matusz? Would he be a piece you would give up? I know Cws was interested in him awhile back.

Not with Strop so questionable, Patton iffy and JJ's recent burp. I think we're good going forward but I wouldn't trade Brian right now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles "appear to have little to no interest" in trading for the Cubs' Matt Garza.

The Orioles would like to add a veteran starting pitcher, but Cliff Lee is out of their price range and they aren't interested in dealing either Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman in order to make it happen. Garza has enjoyed past success in the American League East, but it's possible that the Orioles aren't willing to pay a high price for a rental. While some have mentioned Yovani Gallardo as a possibility due to his ties to pitching coordinator Rick Peterson, the interest isn't there at the moment. Of course, the July 31 trade deadline is still almost two months away, so a lot can change between now and then.

Source: CBS Sports

Didn't the Phillies start off with a lower payroll and then splurge after some success? Isn't the Baltimore market pretty comparable to Philadelphia? Now that we're winning, for a second season in a row, and that an elite pitcher is a major need, how can we say Cliff Lee is out of the question?

Didn't the Phillies start off with a lower payroll and then splurge after some success? Isn't the Baltimore market pretty comparable to Philadelphia? Now that we're winning, for a second season in a row, and that an elite pitcher is a major need, how can we say Cliff Lee is out of the question?

25 million reasons per year.

And? The Phillies were able to pay it. Philadelphia has a payroll of $160m. Orioles $92m. I know we have a lot of guys we need to pay going forward but I think we should be able/willing to pay for three years of Cliff Lee right now, while we're a WS calibre team especially with a boost to the SP like Lee.

And? The Phillies were able to pay it. Philadelphia has a payroll of $160m. Orioles $92m. I know we have a lot of guys we need to pay going forward but I think we should be able/willing to pay for three years of Cliff Lee right now, while we're a WS calibre team especially with a boost to the SP like Lee.

Oh, okay. I wasn't aware that because Philly is able to pay it then Baltimore can too. Thanks for the information.

Oh, okay. I wasn't aware that because Philly is able to pay it then Baltimore can too. Thanks for the information.
Well, why wouldn't we be able to? We're winning now, we're starting to fill up the stadium, our market size should be up with theirs, we have a regional sports network, the Nationals are on it too and have to give us a ton of their money. Here's an elite pitcher that we can probably get without giving up much as long as we take on some salary. I get that we don't spend that kind of money usually, but that doesn't mean we can't. I don't really understand why the forum is invested in helping Angelos pinch pennies.

Little to no intrest in Garza tells me that they want another Joe Saunders and that's it. If I see a title, "O's want 'elite' pitching then I'll have to roll my eyes at our front office for being so dense.

But saying things like the O's have little interest be DD keeping things close to

the vest?

I believe the O's are on his no trade list. Personally I wouldn't want him on the

O's because of the cost. Would it keep the O's from signing some of their players?

Signing Matt and other players to extensions is what I mean.

Well, why wouldn't we be able to? We're winning now, we're starting to fill up the stadium, our market size should be up with theirs, we have a regional sports network, the Nationals are on it too and have to give us a ton of their money. Here's an elite pitcher that we can probably get without giving up much as long as we take on some salary. I get that we don't spend that kind of money usually, but that doesn't mean we can't. I don't really understand why the forum is invested in helping Angelos pinch pennies.

As you said, the Phillies slowly built their payroll up after years of increased attendance. They didn't add $25M overnight, while they stadium was still half empty. Also, Philly doesn't share an area with another team. The last statement is just stupid.

I believe the O's are on his no trade list. Personally I wouldn't want him on the

O's because of the cost. Would it keep the O's from signing some of their players?

Signing Matt and other players to extensions is what I mean.

Agreed. I want to win, but I don't want the O's to do business like the Yankees. And they don't have to do business that way to win.

I concur that Schoop has been overrated. If he ends up as a 3rd baseman, it seems to me that Delmonico could overtake him. Not that I'd look to trade Schoop now, but if his trade value is higher than it should be, and he can get us a TOR starter, then I wouldn't be against trading him.

Agreed. I want to win, but I don't want the O's to do business like the Yankees. And they don't have to do business that way to win.

I concur that Schoop has been overrated. If he ends up as a 3rd baseman, it seems to me that Delmonico could overtake him. Not that I'd look to trade Schoop now, but if his trade value is higher than it should be, and he can get us a TOR starter, then I wouldn't be against trading him.

I don't know anything about Delmonico. I am not totally against trading Schoop.

But with a broken back isn't he out indefinitely? I have no idea about broken

backs but sounds horrible to me. Seems to me he would be out a long time.

Archived