Britton for Wright and $4M

wildcard

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's press release-------------

The Orioles today announced that they have acquired RHP Jaret Wright from the New York Yankees in exchange for RHP Chris Britton. The Orioles also received cash from New York as part of the trade.

Wright was 11-7 with a 4.49 ERA in 30 games for New York this past season. He finished 4th on the Yankees staff in wins, starts (27), innings pitched (140.1) and ERA as a starter (4.42).

The 10-year veteran was 11-6 with a 4.42 ERA as a starter. He pitched into the 6th inning in 17 of his 27 starts, with 10 “Quality Starts,” and was 7-2 over his final 14 starts beginning July 7. New York scored 2 runs or fewer while he was on the mound in 12 of his starts, including 5 games in which the Yankees failed to score a run. He left with a lead three times and failed to get a win, and twice left games with the score tied, 2-2, without getting a decision.

Wright, who will be 31 in December, has one season remaining on a 3-year contract he signed with New York as a free agent following the 2004 season. He is 68-57 in his career with a 5.07 ERA in 223 games.

Wright, whose father, Clyde, also pitched 10 years in the majors, began his big league career with the Cleveland Indians in 1997. He signed with San Diego as a free agent in 2003 before being acquired on

waivers by Atlanta in August of that year. He had his best season with the Braves in 2004, going 15-8 with a 3.20 ERA in 32 starts. While with Atlanta, he worked with current Orioles pitching coach Leo Mazzone.

Aside from 2003, when he made 50 relief appearances between San Diego and Atlanta without a start, Wright has started all but 5 games in his other 9 major league seasons. He pitched twice out of the bullpen with Cleveland in 2002 and made 3 relief appearances this past season with New York.

He has pitched in the post-season in 6 different seasons, making 16 appearances including 10 starts. He started and lost Game 4 of New York’s American League Division Series vs. Detroit last month.

Britton, the Orioles’ 8th round pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, was 0-2 with one save and a 3.35 ERA in 52 games as a rookie for the Orioles in 2006 after beginning the season at AA Bowie. He pitched to a 2.20 ERA in 28 games before the All-Star break but had a 5.14 ERA in 24 appearances after the break.

That is a concern, but this early move has given me a little more faith in the FO. I don't think we are done and our rotation and pen could look different by opening day.

And after really looking at Wright's numbers, I am reluctant to say that he is "poised for a rebound year," but I think there is a good chance we could be pleasantly surprised.

Those home/road splits were particularly surprising.

It's also a fairly bold move, considering this front office's recent track record. I can't wait to see what comes next, because it seems pretty obvious to me that Duquette is aware that the bullpen was a big weakness last year. There's another trade on the cusp. There has to be. I hope.

On the surface, this is horrible trade. The only thing worse would be trading Ray for Pavano. What we did was trade a good uprising rookie bullpen arm for a shaky-used-to-be starter who is trying to resurrect his career.

Looking deeper, this trade communicates much potential. The front office is shouting loud and clear with this trade: WE TRUST OUR YOUNG STARTERS with Bedard, Cabrera, Lowen et al... enough that we don't want to spend anything on Zito or Schmitt. They have completely dropped out of the race for an ace with this move and seem to be after something bigger.

If this had happened in Jan or Feb I would have been kicking my O's blanket like a mad man, throwing my O's pillow through my window to knock off my O's antenna ornament and probably hitting my O's bumper sticker. I would have been one pissed O's fan. But the fact that this trade happens in November communicates that the FO has a plan and is going after one piece at a time.

This isn't a last resort of "We tried to get the big names but couldn't get anybody good this year, so we'll have to settle for this one hope to turn our 9 years of losing around."

Way too early to draw your conclusions. I'm not sure if you have seen Britton pitch, but he's a replaceble guy. Anytime you can get a rotation guy, even a mediocre one, for a mediocre bullpen guy, you have to go for it because it gives you fleibility.

If this a the only move of the offseason then I'll agree with you. But let's see if this is a beginning of an actual plan.

Thanks Tony. For the few of us on here who've been arguing that a "wait and see" approach is the only way to dissect early hot stove activity, it's nice to have you weigh in with such grounded analysis.

I mean, is the sky really falling because we traded away Britton? Oy.

Thanks Tony. For the few of us on here who've been arguing that a "wait and see" approach is the only way to dissect early hot stove activity, it's nice to have you weigh in with such grounded analysis.

Not at all. I think most folks just don't like losing a home-grown guy who was pretty solid for us. But I think Tony's right; Britton can be replaced. Hoey might be that guy. A trade, that my suspicions tell me is already in the works, could be that guy. Even a free agent signing, though I think most of the quality relievers out there will end up getting more than they're worth. In short, the trade route is probably the way for us to go. Go get 'em, Duq.

Way too early to draw your conclusions. I'm not sure if you have seen Britton pitch, but he's a replaceble guy. Anytime you can get a rotation guy, even a mediocre one, for a mediocre bullpen guy, you have to go for it because it gives you fleibility.

If this a the only move of the offseason then I'll agree with you. But let's see if this is a beginning of an actual plan.

Exactly my point... if this is a move that is part of a bigger plan (as it would appear to be) then it is a success. If this was the O's last resort move, there is little encouragement I could draw from it.

(and yes I saw him pitch... and Wright last year as well ;))

Hopefully this a starting point. Losing Britton isn't a huge deal. And the team feeling he is a bit on the hefty side and lacks a certain desire to deal with it reminds me of a former starter we had who now may permanently reside in Miami next to Sammy Sosa....I talk of course of Sidney Ponson. As the season progressed Britton was gassed and relatively unproven. Wright has been in the league for 10 years and carries a track record. It is worth a shot. I like the fact we did something on the 1st official day you really can do something. A nice start and hopefully we keep it up.

For me personally, i don't think the deal is castastrophic or Britton isn't replacable, I just don't think Jaret Wright is very good. All things considered, giving his injury history, stamina, career numbers, etc, I'd prefer someone else in our rotation.

Because of the yankees kicking in some money, Wright is probably the cheapest option, but IMO, he's far from being the best option even for a 4/5th type pitcher.

Judging by Duq's commets, i'm sure this is just a first in a series of moves, but I'd prefer if the end result not include Jaret Wright in the rotation. My personal preference would be to have a #5 pitcher who at the very least is an innings eater and can keep the bullpen fresh for our top of the rotation pitchers. I'm a bit concerned he might wear out our bullpen.

Archived