Diamondbacks Draft Paralyzed Player

OFFNY

Cory Hahn. The Arizona State University outfielder who was partially paralyzed during a game against the University of New Mexico in 2011.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2013/story/_/id/9356727/arizona-diamondbacks-draft-paralyzed-player-34th-round

"It was a very emotional selection for us to make," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said on Saturday. "When (scouting director) Ray Montgomery and his staff came up with the idea and presented it to me, it was a no-brainer."

Before I was born, the Cleveland Browns let a leukemia-stricken Ernie Davis run onto the field at Cleveland Stadium during a 1962 pre-season game, even though they had no intention of inserting him into the game.

"It's not about us. It's really about Cory and his family," Hall said. "I was able to spend time with them right after the injury in his hospital room and he's a wonderful kid. We want to make this permanent. We don't want this to just be about the selection and him being a draft pick, but about him working in full-time employment with the Diamondbacks and hopefully we'll make that come to fruition for he and his family here soon."

This makes it even better.

• 11 months later...

Archived