Are We the Best Team in Baseball Right Now?

brianod

With Chen and Roberts back, we just might be. We are 2 1/2 games out of first and 2 1/2 games out of the best record in baseball. If we get lucky and stay healthy, this team might just take off. We don't have the resources of the Yankees and RedSox to make significant improvements but a tweak or two is certainly possible. Fun stuff.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can they be considered the best when they can't leapfrog the two teams in front of them? Right now it's pretty much Tampa and everybody else as they're on fire. I'd still say the Cardinals are the best overall team, but right now it's Tampa, end of discussion.

I like the optimism of the OP. If the rotation pitches remotely as well down the stretch as it has since Chen returned, we may very well be the best team in baseball over the final 61 games. Tampa's on fire, but I still like our lineup better than theirs. It's all about the pitching, that's where we need to build our momentum.

How can they be considered the best when they can't leapfrog the two teams in front of them? Right now it's pretty much Tampa and everybody else as they're on fire. I'd still say the Cardinals are the best overall team, but right now it's Tampa, end of discussion.

Spot on. Tampa and the A's are always underestimated and scare me to death. Don't underestimate the Pirates either...

My list:

Cardinals

Red Sox (they are still in first)

Tampa

Pirates

A's

Orioles

Texas

Detroit

Atlanta

Reds

Dodgers

In the last 30 days.

Moore 5-0

Archer 4-0

Hellickson 4-0

Price 3-1

I think that about says it.

Thing is, they have had their run. Nobody plays like they are playing for an extended period. Their run will come to an end and they will probably play .500 for a few weeks. We are 2 games behind and haven't had our run yet.

Thing is, they have had their run. Nobody plays like they are playing for an extended period. Their run will come to an end and they will probably play .500 for a few weeks. We are 2 games behind and haven't had our run yet.

I suspect Tampa will play well for the rest of the year. We will have to play even better to catch them. I think Boston could fall as the season progresses. We'll certainly have our say about that.

With Chen and Roberts back, we just might be. We are 2 1/2 games out of first and 2 1/2 games out of the best record in baseball. If we get lucky and stay healthy, this team might just take off. We don't have the resources of the Yankees and RedSox to make significant improvements but a tweak or two is certainly possible. Fun stuff.

They are only 3rd best in the AL East and not just because of the standings.

I dont know that we are the best team in our division, let alone baseball.

Somewhat reminiscent of the many years that Florida State and Miami, Fla. were often both in the Top-4 in the country overall, yet were still playing for the state championship when they met head-on.

I'm going to say no simply because they don't have the best record and aren't on the best current streak. However, lets look at what has really happened. The Rays just finished a 24 game stretch against the Astros, White Sox, Twins, Blue Jays, and Tigers. The only good team there is the Tigers and that was only 3 games. Now, the Orioles are just starting on a similar schedule while the Rays have to contend with much better teams. If the Orioles can split with the Red Sox when they play, they ought to come out of this stretch in first place by a few games. If they don't, they may not make the playoffs. If they do, they might just end up being the best team in baseball.

Archived