Are We the Best Team in Baseball Right Now?

brianod

I think the point of the OP was regarding NOW - with Nick and Wiets heating up, Urrutia better than our DH effort over the first 95 games and BRob improving.

We look like a pretty darn good team right now, so l am in the camp of people saying to forget about the comparisons and let's just play good Orioles baseball.

Ok, I'll buy that and I did consider it in my reply. That's certainly my hope as well as I do think we'll clearly need to outperform what we did in the first half of the season. I'm optimistic and it's fun to be in contention, and lots of stuff can happen. What I think is the "best" team may not win and I hope they don't.

That said, TB has recently got David Price back (and healthy), Hellickson is pitching much better, and their young pitchers Moore/Archer have become better and more consistent. Their offense has been very good. As far as forgetting the comparisons, I was just responding to the thread, not trying to piss on anybody's wheaties.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the Rangers and Royals the last few days, it's become clearer to me how much of a huge advantage our team defense is. We have two or three phenomenal defensive players, and the others are mostly average (at least) and make all the plays they are supposed to make.

Yeah. Maybe talent wise. But they play down to their opponents time after time, go games without being able to buy a single hit with RISP, and the offense gets man handled by mediocre pitchers continuously.

It's great that they play so well against good teams but it won't matter in the playoffs if we're sitting home due to playing terrible every series against bad teams.

This team is in third in their division and has the worst record by far of any of the top teams against sub .500 teams. They are a long way from the best team and will stay where they are playing like they have against lesser teams.

The Royals have winning records this season against Boston, Tampa, who they absolutely destroyed, and are .500 right now against the O's with a chance to take the season series tonight. They're not a bad team, they just can't hit.

The Royals have winning records this season against Boston, Tampa, who they absolutely destroyed, and are .500 right now against the O's with a chance to take the season series tonight. They're not a bad team, they just can't hit.

So the 8-9 record against the Astros, Twins, Mariners and White Sox is good too, I suppose. They are not bad teams either, I guess.

I think someone needs to take one for the team and start a "Are we the worst team in Baseball right now?" thread to reverse this jinx.

It may have to be done. It seems every time someone has posted the O's are going on a run or huge winning streak, the O's are the best team in baseball, the O's all mighty this and that threads etc. have been followed up with a loss or a series loss to the likes of the white sox etc.

Not knocking the optimism by O's fans, just saying for some voodoo purposes these threads have been crushers.

• 1 month later...

Archived