Do you want JJ Hardy after 2014?

Frobby

Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to keep Hardy beyond 2014?

Then look for a 3B with some power and OBP.

Is it that easy? The only notable 3B FAs in the next two years are Chase Headley and Pablo Sandoval. They're not the kind of guys that Duquette chases. Huge contracts for good but not great players is for teams with big budgets.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it that easy? The only notable 3B FAs in the next two years are Chase Headley and Pablo Sandoval. They're not the kind of guys that Duquette chases. Huge contracts for good but not great players is for teams with big budgets.

Question, how many 3rd baseman have we run through here since Cal retired? Too many to count and brings up some terrible highlights in my memory banks.

Now that we finally got a great one, leave him there

No, Hardy has average range, IMO, now. He'll be in his declining years both offensively and defensively by 2015. Perfect time to cut ties and either move Machado to SS and just replace Hardy with someone else. I might consider a 2 year extension but nothing more than that.

I disagree. I'd call his range above average. It's not elite range, but it's a positive attribute.

Question, how many 3rd baseman have we run through here since Cal retired? Too many to count and brings up some terrible highlights in my memory banks.

Now that we finally got a great one, leave him there

That example proves the opposite of the point you are arguing Cal played 3rd in the minors and Earl moved him to shortstop when he came to the big leagues. Earl had enough info to know that Cal would likely be great at third. He had no idea how he'd fair at short but "took the chance" because he understood positional value.

Using your logic, Cal should have never played shortstop!

That example proves the opposite of the point you are arguing Cal played 3rd in the minors and Earl moved him to shortstop when he came to the big leagues. Earl had enough info to know that Cal would likely be great at third. He had no idea how he'd fair at short but "took the chance" because he understood positional value.

Actually Cal was playing some at SS in the minors and had been a SS and Pitcher in high school and really wanted to play SS.

Earl like the thought of having a guy with "pop" at SS, and it was easier to find guys with "pop" at third.

So you think Manny is the same type of SS, where he reads every pitch thrown and positions himself to be in the proper play?

Manny is just a superb ball player, that he is less worried about being out of position and has outstanding range and speed to cover the position.

I dont think anybody in the Oriole system thought of Cal being the next Brooks with a glove at third.

- Just because it worked once for Cal and Earl doesn't mean that it should or will work generally

- I don't believe anyone thought Cal was a spectacular defensive third baseman

- Although it worked, moving Cal opened up a huge hole - the '83 O's won despite getting replacement-level production out of third base. It's a hole that was only sporadically filled throughout Cal's career.

I don't think the O's would be stupid to move Manny, but I think it's unlikely that it's going to be a big plus. It's kind of a coin toss as to whether it's even a productive move.

- Just because it worked once for Cal and Earl doesn't mean that it should or will work generally

- I don't believe anyone thought Cal was a spectacular defensive third baseman

- Although it worked, moving Cal opened up a huge hole - the '83 O's won despite getting replacement-level production out of third base. It's a hole that was only sporadically filled throughout Cal's career.

I don't think the O's would be stupid to move Manny, but I think it's unlikely that it's going to be a big plus. It's kind of a coin toss as to whether it's even a productive move.

I didn't bring up Cal. I only commented that it was a strange example to use to prove that we shouldn't move Manny.

The thread is about whether to keep Hardy. Having Machado gives us options. The answer to the question whether to move Hardy is the same answer to most questions: It depends.

To me, it mostly depends on 1) what trading Hardy can bring back 2) what else we could do with $8 mil next year and c) what sort of an extension would Hardy be looking for. I would guess that every GM in baseball would explore each of these questions in the offseason. They would be stupid not to.

If Hardy is looking for a big contract, I'd be more inclined to move him if I got good pieces back. If other teams didn't value Hardy, I'd be more inclined to keep him.

I really don't understand the debate.

Hardy provides some production out of the shortstop position. If he leaves for FA or when he inevitably declines offensively we are most likely looking at a complete black hole out of the SS position. Moving Machado to short alleviates that problem.

Either way Hardy's production will come to end in the near future whether that's because he's off the team or stops producing. It will be easier to look for offense out of a 3B than a SS.

Granted, it will be hard to find offense anywhere, but I'd take my chances with a vacant 3B than a vacant SS.

This is a report I remember reading last year from the AZ Fall League. The interesting thing is it's not just one scout talking about Schoop, but he also refers to the other scouts he's talked to that have seen him play.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/11/a-rival-scout-talks-about-jonathan-schoop.html

"He doesn't have great foot speed which is probably why they have him at third base, but he handles everything there. He has plenty of arm."

The way he's hit the ball since coming back from his injury he seems like the logical choice to step in at 3B after JJ is gone and Manny takes over at SS.

Archived