BP Playoff Odds Snapshot Thread

Frobby

The Indians are 13-2 against the Tigers so far this season. So predicting a sweep for them seems almost impossible.

The Indians team right now is not the same time as the one that went 13-2. They lost two of their three best pitchers. I am not predicting a DET sweep, but I would consider DET the favorites in 3 of the 4 games and I see a higher chance of a DET sweep than a CLE sweep.

Fangraphs has the Orioles at 72.2%.

I do wonder if Francona will rest his players tonight vs Verlander. Want the Indians to get at least one more this series. Hope the Astros can win at least 1 vs Seattle.

Mariners may be bigger threat now than Detroit.

Let's win this one tonight.

Fangraphs has the Orioles at 72.2%.

I do wonder if Francona will rest his players tonight vs Verlander. Want the Indians to get at least one more this series. Hope the Astros can win at least 1 vs Seattle.

Mariners may be bigger threat now than Detroit.

Let's win this one tonight.

BP says 69.1%. They've always been slightly more pessimistic about the Orioles' chances than fangraphs over the last few weeks. To your point about the Mariners, BP now says their odds are 21.0% compared to Detroit's 16.4%. Fangraphs disagrees, they say 17.4% Detroit, 16.8% Seattle. Either way, our job is to win enough games to reduce their odds to zero.

BP says 69.1%. They've always been slightly more pessimistic about the Orioles' chances than fangraphs over the last few weeks. To your point about the Mariners, BP now says their odds are 21.0% compared to Detroit's 16.4%. Fangraphs disagrees, they say 17.4% Detroit, 16.8% Seattle. Either way, our job is to win enough games to reduce their odds to zero.

I agree, it is on the Orioles.

I think the Braves will play the Tigers tougher than the A's vs the Mariners.

• 10 months later...

Time for the annual resuscitation of this thread.   I'll update it weekly so long as the Orioles are still in the race.

Team/Current Record/Projected Record/Playoff Odds/Division Odds

BOS 63-49 88-74 90.4 50.8

NYY 59-51 88-74 89.2 43.8

TBR 58-55 83-79 39.9 04.8

BAL 55-56 78-84 05.8  00.5

TOR 52-59 76-86 02.5 00.1

CLE 59-50 90-72 95.4 90.7

KCR 57-53 82-80 32.1 07.9

MIN 53-56 78-84 06.1 01.1

DET 51-59 76-86 02.1 00.3

HOU 71-40 101-61 100.0 100.0

SEA 57-56 81-81 22.7 00.0

LAA 55-57 79-83 07.5 00.0

TEX 53-58 78-84 05.9 00.0

It's interesting to see that the Twins and Angels are both given better odds than us despite being behind us in the standings.    

• Upvote 2

The twins, Angels & rangers are abysmal. There is little depth in either league with the NL WC certain to go to a lousy team as well. A year where selling & making the playoffs is more likely than most, as the Rangers may succeed in doing. Houston, Clev & Boston are the only teams who I feel we are outmatched against at full strength - and we haven't had a single reliable SP this year. 

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

The twins, Angels & rangers are abysmal. There is little depth in either league with the NL WC certain to go to a lousy team as well. A year where selling & making the playoffs is more likely than most, as the Rangers may succeed in doing. Houston, Clev & Boston are the only teams who I feel we are outmatched against at full strength - and we haven't had a single reliable SP this year. 

Colorado (64-48) and Arizona (63-48) hold the 2 NL WC spots right now, so I'm not sure about your comment.  Colorado has more wins than every other team save LAD, HOU, WAS - same with Arizona except they are tied in wins with BOS.   

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

With absolutely no analytical observations made, 5.8% for a playoff berth sounds about right.  

I know it's the west coast, and they are road games, but you should take a gander at Oak and LAA's teams. LAA has one regular over a .700 OPS(Trout).  OAK looks like a AAA rotation and lineup sans a couple guys. 

We have a superior lineup and pen. Maybe even an advantage on the pitching. We need to be able to go 4-2 in those 6 games.