Brian Roberts

Uli2001

You mean basically replacement level?

Yes Roberts is hitting very well with RISP (.455). He also has a 680 OPS overall with unimpressive defense.

It is nice to see that he isn't hurting the team like he did last season but the idea of a two year contract is insane.

Also, you claimed "many" posters were mocking Roberts, I would like to see some examples.

Roberts struggled in July when he was still fresh from the DL, but he had a .353 OBP in August. High OBP anywhere in this lineup is valuable. As for his fielding, I don't know what his range is anymore, but he's only made 1 error this year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were "many" examples. Said thread (thanks xKHx) but also rhetorical bets on over and under games he would be able to play, who would be on the DL first, he or Reimold, etc. I think I am justified in saying "many".

Indulging in some gallows's humor with Roberts' and Reimold's injury history is a far cry from mocking.

Nick Markakis in 2013 makes my stomach turn.

Agreed. I think the big difference between this year's and last year's teams (other than the resurgent Red Sox beating up on us and the rest of the league) is the collapse of Markakis and Hammel. Sure the bullpen hasn't been as good and Wieters is a disappointment, but Markakis and Hammel not contributing nearly as much is where this team's problems really begin.

Not being critical of, mocking.

There is a difference.

Also the OP stated "Many" so the rare crackpot poster that thinks concussions are funny is not going to be sufficient.

There were a noticeable number of posters opining that BRob should just retire, was stealing from the team, that he wasn't really trying, and/or would get hurt again the minute he got off the DL, etc. I'm sure if I spent the time I could find 20 posters who said things like that.

There were a noticeable number of posters opining that BRob should just retire, was stealing from the team, that he wasn't really trying, and/or would get hurt again the minute he got off the DL, etc. I'm sure if I spent the time I could find 20 posters who said things like that.

I have stated that he should have retired, doesn't mean I was mocking him. It means that I didn't think the risk of additional damage was worth trying to come back when he wasn't likely to have much success.

I tend to agree. I think he will have a nice bounce back year in 2014. I'm willing to give him a bye this year. I don't think Nick is at full strength. Hes earned a chance to prove himself.

I think he is going to revamp his workout routine and show up next season noticeably larger and stronger.

Contract years have a tendency to motivate.

Archived