Johnson may be traded per Rosenthal (Update: Johnson trade to A's for Weeks)

andrewrickli

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's absolutely no way the Orioles take back a contract like that. The Dodgers would have to eat at least 50% of it, even then I'd be amazed.

I disagree. The Dodgers would need to help, but not with 50%. I could see $20-30M getting it done, with that spread out over 2015-2017. About $6M a year less puts it at:

2015: $12M

2016: $12M

2017: $11.5M

The option becomes tricky and something will need to be done around that. But otherwise, that is reasonable given the current deals being handed out on the FA market and remembering Markakis is coming off the books next year.

As for 2014, you are swapping out Johnson for Either so it is an addition of about $5M.

I guess I just don't get why the Dodgers would give up anything of value knowing the Orioles are considering non-tendering Johnson.

Because it is not a guarantee he will be non-tendered (particularly since everyone not named Gammons previously reported we were tendering all of our players) and Johnson will then be able to go wherever. Plus, if they can unload a large contract as part of it, it makes more sense.

Because it is not a guarantee he will be non-tendered (particularly since everyone not named Gammons previously reported we were tendering all of our players) and Johnson will then be able to go wherever. Plus, if they can unload a large contract as part of it, it makes more sense.

So give it a day and see what they do.

It's not like they can't trade for him tomorrow if the Orioles DO decide to offer Johnson a contract.

So give it a day and see what they do.

It's not like they can't trade for him tomorrow if the Orioles DO decide to offer Johnson a contract.

If they are looking at the Orioles as a way to dump the Ethier contract then they would do it as part of a trade so they would want to do it before the non-tender date. If, however, it's a Van Slyke type player, then I agree, waiting makes more sense.

There is also the chance the Os are talking to other teams as well and the Dodgers want to be the ones to get him and not another trade partner.

I disagree. The Dodgers would need to help, but not with 50%. I could see $20-30M getting it done, with that spread out over 2015-2017. About $6M a year less puts it at:

2015: $12M

2016: $12M

2017: $11.5M

The option becomes tricky and something will need to be done around that. But otherwise, that is reasonable given the current deals being handed out on the FA market and remembering Markakis is coming off the books next year.

As for 2014, you are swapping out Johnson for Either so it is an addition of about $5M.

I can't see the O's paying 12m/yr for a platoon player.

I'm done with it sorry mods.

Thank you.

Again, the Hangout does not vet or endorse any insider information as anything more than entertainment. Deliberately posting false information is a ban-able offense. Some folks here do have certain folks who do speak with them. That does not mean those that they speak with have correct information or that the ever changing landscape of this season of misinformation does not render it incorrect.

Agents, Journalists, and team officials may all have ulterior motives for their message.

Buyer Beware.

How about something like Ethier, AJ Ellis, and Pederson for Johnson and Wieters? Getting a prospect like Pederson and moving the Johnson and Wieters contract situations would make taking on Ethier's salary more palatable. Ellis has a little pop, takes a walk, and threw out 44% of steal attempts last year. Does this work for both teams?

I'd be quite happy with Jim Johnson for Scott Van Slyke. I think Van Slyke is a capable everyday left fielder and clearing 10M is a huge deal with the small budget we have.

Ethier can still play, but 4/71.5 is much more than he's worth. He was worth $44M over the last 4 years.

Crawford can still play too, but he has 4/82.5 left and he was worth $45M over the last 4 years.

With 6/130 left, Kemp just isn't going to be an Oriole. Peter won't take that contract, and he certainly wouldn't give it to a big question mark like Kemp.

What makes you say that? The guy has not even been in the big leagues for more than 1 full season.

I understand the money situation and Johnson's contract, but if we trade our closer for an unproven 27 year old outfielder, I don't see how we have gotten any better on the field.

Archived