O's agree with Ryan Webb on 2-year deal

Os84

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's remember who released him-the Marlins! That they released a player getting a raise means nothing about the player's abilities. I know JJ has had great years for us and overall, his 2013 didn't look bad. But, how many of you here would trust him in the ninth of an important game? I had so many heart attacks watching him from the 2012 playoffs till now, I need three pacemakers. At he was going to get a raise. I bet this guy can blow saves just as proficiently as JJ for about 8mil less.

Let's remember who released him-the Marlins! That they released a player getting a raise means nothing about the player's abilities. I know JJ has had great years for us and overall' date=' his 2013 didn't look bad. But, how many of you here would trust him in the ninth of an important game? I had so many heart attacks watching him from the 2012 playoffs till now, I need three pacemakers. At he was going to get a raise.[b'] I bet this guy can blow saves just as proficiently as JJ for about 8mil less[/b].

Clearly, since he's not as good a pitcher as JJ, he can blow them even more proficiently.

Dan really likes De la Cruz.

And the main reason he likes De La Cruz is he's a potential future closer with a very high K-rate in the minors last season. Thus, Webb's low K-rate leads me to think he was not obtained to develop into a closer.

If so, it's really pointless to compare him to JJ in terms of saves, blown leads, etc., although the comparisons of stuff are helpful.

Traded an expensive reliever and replaced him with a potentially similar one at 1/5th the price.

This is something almost everyone wanted to happen this offseason so a thumbs up for DD. :thumbsup1:

Stop comparing him to JJ. He may pitch like JJ but JJ had better numbers and back-to-back 50+ save seasons...

So our big FA signing is a guy non-tendered by a last place team

and we gave him 50% more than his arb number

and I imagine we were bidding against ourselves

you just can't make this stuff up

I have no problem with not liking the move. I just wish that people would quit the sarcasm. It is childish and unbecoming of a poster on a message board the quality of the OH.

So our big FA signing is a guy non-tendered by a last place team

and we gave him 50% more than his arb number

and I imagine we were bidding against ourselves

you just can't make this stuff up

Actually, you just did make some of this stuff up. According to Dan Connolly on Twitter, Webb had multiple 2-year offers. The Orioles weren't bidding against themselves, and Webb was clearly highly valued among multiple teams.

Archived