Jerry Hairston Jr. to Retire

murph

Retiring to go into broadcasting:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo">@ChrisCotillo</a> reported, Jerry Hairston is retiring to accept a position with the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Dodgers&src=hash">#Dodgers</a>' broadcast team.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Amen!!!! It really does.

Did I impress you with my tweet embedding skillz! :)

Obviously the better player won out, but Hairston went on to have a nice career and was quite valuable to several teams.

Disclaimer: I just discovered how to embed a tweet like 5 days ago.

Did I impress you with my tweet embedding skillz! :)

Obviously the better player won out, but Hairston went on to have a nice career and was quite valuable to several teams.

Disclaimer: I just discovered how to embed a tweet like 5 days ago.

I knew there had to be an easy way, and for somebody that used to build PCs from total scratch, supported mainframes, knew unix inside and out, and likes to think I know what I am doing at a keyboard, at times, I feel like a newbie. :)

I knew there had to be an easy way, and for somebody that used to build PCs from total scratch, supported mainframes, knew unix inside and out, and likes to think I know what I am doing at a keyboard, at times, I feel like a newbie. :)

Tiger Direct! :)

You could use cURL and the twitter API to tweet for you. ;)

Back prior to the 2004 season, I was expecting Hairston to win the second base competition and was hoping the Cardinals could acquire Roberts after he lost out. Then Jerry broke his finger in his first spring training game and before he came off the DL, Brian had the job sewn up.

I kept hoping the Cardinals would pick Jerry up, but they didn't seem to have any interest. Just as well, considering how fragile Jerry's been throughout his career.

I still remember how they were comparing Jerry's glove to Robbie Alomar Jr.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You know what, I actually mess that up.  I always say at bats and that’s really not right..it should be PA but anyway, my threshold is more of a games started type of thing. for me, the Os only have 1 everyday player and that’s Gunnar.  Everyday being defined as 155+ games. Adley, being a C, should rest (as in a full game off) more often imo. After that, it just varies. I think yon could say a guy playing 135 games is an everyday guy.  I’m not trying to nitpick on semantics.  I look at it more as, take away PA from someone.     I have said I think this will be one of, if not the best, year of Mounty’s career. I don’t want him sitting too much but I don’t see anything wrong with saying he’s a 550ish PA guy vs 650ish. Now, if he’s on fire and hitting all pitching, that plan can obviously be altered but the current plan for me would be to target 550ish PA..so, 135-140 games.  It’s not a huge difference but you do that with him, with Santander and with Hays and all flan sudden, you find a bunch of at bats for a young hitter with bigger upside.     That’s really what all of this is about.  I have never once said I want Cowser and Kjerstad playing everyday. They aren’t Gunnar.  They aren’t Holliday or Mayo either, 2 other guys I expect to be true everyday guys. But they can play 135-140 games, just like Mounty and be really good imo.   Right now, there are vet bats here stopping that. For me, I’m looking for ways to get the bats in the young guys hands as much as possible and I don’t feel sacrificing at bats from a good but not great player is some tragic way of doing that.
    • So Willson Contreras has a broken forearm because catcher's are now moving up on the plate to try and frame/steal pitches.  JD Martinez (who stands way far back in the box), crushed him, swinging a pitch. If it was automated strikes, there would be no reason for him to stay so far up and this wouldn't have happened.  I know this is a weird outlier, but I thought it interesting nonetheless.  
    • We are used to essentially GG level defense at every position except for RF on a nightly basis.  If you think the board panics after every blown bullpen lead, wait till you see us lose games because of errors.  We haven't seen that really in 3 years.  Outside of one game one offs with Mckenna and O'Hearn.  
    • I'd say Adley's splits vs RHP are far more troubling. His job isn't threatened though so I guess it is not a developing situation?
    • Spot on.  We're also getting everyone's best shot this year, and I'm sure pitcher's didn't want a 21 year old teeing off on them.  So that little bit of competitive extra motivation means alot at this level.  He wasn't flying under the radar in the 9th spot.   With that said, would he see better pitches hitting 2nd in between Gunnar and Adley?  Pitchers wont have that luxury of facing him at the bottom of the lineup where they can drop in their ungodly breaking stuff on the corners.  
    • Did you really have to repeat this all over again? We know they're struggling, Roy. Maybe they think Mayo isn't ready for 3rd base at MLB level yet. I do think we will eventually see him later this year . So how about just wait?
    • Just curious since you make the distinction often, what's your full season PA threshold to call someone an "everyday" player?
  • Popular Contributors