Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette's thoughts (as posted by the Don, above) all make sense except for this... Almanzar has a career .721 minor league OPS vs LHP (.700 vs RHP). It was .822 last season, so that's something I guess. But we're talking about AA pitching. Valencia's a career .879 hitter vs MLB LHP. Almanzar is simply not going to replace Valencia's production next season. No way.

How is he replacing Valencia? Valencia doesn't play the outfield and he certainly can't back-up center field. It makes zero sense in these days of big bullpens to have a guy who can only DH against left-handed batters.

Yes. He's a complete defender. Less of a base stealing threat. Needs work on that ML OBP, but can hit.

And yeah - Nate's line was a $10M .258/.319/.399. I'll take David.

I have no doubt that a good career minor league OBP guy will improve after his rookie season. And as my wife says, playing in Camden Yards. I really liked Valencia. I am totally sold on this deal.

How is he replacing Valencia? Valencia doesn't play the outfield and he certainly can't back-up center field. It makes zero sense in these days of big bullpens to have a guy who can only DH against left-handed batters.

In Duquette's quote, he said that Michael Almanzar (the Rule V player the Orioles got from the Red Sox) would take Valencia's role of backing up 1B and 3B and at DH vs LHP. Not that Lough would do that.

Which is why I don't like it. I wanted a LF that could actually produce runs.

Oh, you meant Choo, didn't you ;)

Yay Choo!

Yay Scott Boras turning down the Yankees 140 million.

Jump On it!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vQObWW06VAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duquette's thoughts (as posted by the Don, above) all make sense except for this... Almanzar has a career .721 minor league OPS vs LHP (.700 vs RHP). It was .822 last season, so that's something I guess. But we're talking about AA pitching. Valencia's a career .879 hitter vs MLB LHP. Almanzar is simply not going to replace Valencia's production next season. No way.

Left field was of much more concern to me than DH vs. LHP. I think Almanzar, if he sticks, will be bench corner infielder. Reimold may slot in well at DH, and may just remain healthy if doesn't play the field much. Besides, it is still December and I'm not sure that our DH is currently on the roster. This looks like a great trade for the Orioles, IMO.

What a joke this team is. Everyone knew in Baseball Lough WASN'T GONNA MAKE THE ROYALS THIS YEAR. Tell me again why we gave up Danny for this clown?

Man I am so on board with this trade. DD pulled a minor miracle out of thin air considering how barren the market for outfielders is right now, outside of Choo. I had no idea what we were going to do, I was convinced we were either going to have to do something stupid like overpay Cruz or go into the year with Urrutia/Reimold/Peguero as our primary options.

We gave up Valencia, a bad defender who can't hit RHP...and we got a cheap, great (and potentially excellent) defender with limited platoon splits. At worst, he's a very good 4th OF, and at best he's a defense-driven 3+ win OF.

I don't like the lack of walks and home run power but he does just about everything else right. Teams have to pay for walks and power, so guys like Lough are the true market efficiency right now. On a budget he's about the best we could ask for in LF at this juncture, so I'm thrilled with this as long as we use the last marbles on a starting pitcher (and/or good DH)!

In Duquette's quote, he said that Michael Almanzar (the Rule V player the Orioles got from the Red Sox) would take Valencia's role of backing up 1B and 3B and at DH vs LHP. Not that Lough would do that.

Oh sorry, I should read more carefully. Valencia isn't much of a back-up if he can't hit right handers. What happens if your third baseman gets hurt? You can't get zero production out of third along with horrible fielding.

Archived