Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Texas please counter. I have zero interest in four years of cruz. Memories of albert belle. Cruz may have good stats for fantasy baseball but he is not a good.player.

That's funny. I always remember Belle as the guy that Percival hit in the 9th when he had a 3HR game and wouldn't take his base. Belle was a beast for us before he got hurt. It's not like he was out there slummin it up. He just wasn't out there. He just got hurt. We've wasted just as much money on injured players like Roberts, Wada, Hentgen, Duroscherer, Baez, Gonzalez, Kline.

I wonder if it bothers Heyman that he has no integrity at all, and is just a schill for agents?
This would be the Orioles "Jhonny Peralta" deal.
That’s it. The Jhonny Peralta contract will be a tipping point, leading to harsher penalties for players who are suspended for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Robinson Cano is the biggest star on the market. Who are the best players for sale this offseason?

Prior to Peralta striking it rich, $16 million for two years seemed to be the standard free-agent deal for a position player coming off a PED suspension.

That’s what Melky Cabrera got last offseason. That’s what Marlon Byrd got this offseason. But Peralta, in his new deal with the St. Louis Cardinals, will earn more than three times that sum.

The Cardinals are in agreement with Peralta on a four-year, $53 million contract, according to major-league sources. And while some fans are outraged, they hardly are the only ones disgusted.

source Rosenthal: It pays to cheat, at least in Jhonny Peralta's case

You seem to know a lot about WAR. In your opinion, who are the most valuable OF options and starting pitching options available? Who do you like?

I'm just looking at his WAR on fangraphs and BBRef, anyone can access that.

For OF, I'd love to see us get Choo. I'd offer him as much as 5/100, assuming I can get payroll to 110M sometime soon (if not this year).

If I got Choo, I wouldn't be able to afford a SP. If I went elsewhere for OF, I'd look at Garza as a SP option. I'd give him up to 4/68. I'd need a much lower contract to sign Jimenez or Santana, because we lose a pick. I would have gone after Colon, but not for what he got. For other SP options, I'd look at bargain rates, especially if I got Choo.

Basically, I'd spend the majority of those marbles on a big get for OF or SP, and fill the rest with value guys.

Why bother to even offer your incumbent left fielder a contract when you can sign a worse player coming off a PED suspension for 6x as much money and twice as many years and a lost draft pick?

If you're going to spend big it needs to be on pitching, even if it's overpaying for a #2 or #3 starter. The problem last year wasn't the hitting, which we can certainly do, it was the atrocious starting pitching.

Archived