Yoon, Santana & Morales-Good Offseason?

Rene88

I would be disappointed we have to give up a pick, but I like that offseason. Connolly says we are "very interested" in Santana, let's hope it is true.

What is your perfect offseason at this point? (I wanted Garza, but ain't happening...)

What makes this offseason alright for you personally?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be disappointed we have to give up a pick, but I like that offseason. Connolly says we are "very interested" in Santana, let's hope it is true.

What is your perfect offseason at this point? (I wanted Garza, but ain't happening...)

What makes this offseason alright for you personally?

That would put Baltimore's first selection in the draft at around 95th overall. Seems like a steep price for risky additions (production wise).

We'd have to give up 2 picks under that scenario.

I would prefer to keep the picks and sign Capuano or Saunders. The reason is I don't think addition of Santana is going to put us over the edge in itself. I really feel like Santana and Jimenez are free agent duds...I know they had good years last year but I don't buy it. If the Orioles are winning this year then it will be because of the core players performing well. I like idea the idea of a lot of financial flexibility going into the season so that we could focus on needs as they arise and hopefully take on contracts of players on losing teams.

I consider this a lost off-season regardless...there were so many opportunities to improve and all the good ones are gone.

I'm torn on this. I really think Morales and Santana would help set our rotation and line-up, but I hate giving up the picks. That said, Santana could slot behind Tillman and push back Chen, Gonzo and Norris to more favorable slots (not that it really matters what slots are what in the long run).

Morales is intriguing to me. His 123 OPS+ last season shows he's basically back to pre-injury form and his other numbers will improve greatly outside of Seattle. He could slot in the 5th spot behind Markakis, Machado, Davis and Jones and then push Wieters and Hardy further down in the line-up, really helping to lengthen it out.

For 2014, I think those two moves help significantly, but I am still not sold the trade-off in the future (draft picks) is worth the cost.

That would put Baltimore's first selection in the draft at around 95th overall. Seems like a steep price for risky additions (production wise).

Would you sign anyone else at this point? I would only sign Morales if we sign Santana.

Yes, the picks sting-but the window to win is narrow.

Would you sign anyone else at this point? I would only sign Morales if we sign Santana.

Yes, the picks sting-but the window to win is narrow.

Nope. Well, I'd maybe sign Hardy right now to something like 3/36 with a vesting option based on games played in 2015/2016. Now I'm set for November if/when 2014 goes poorly, I'd look to move Chris Davis, Matt Wieters, and JJ Hardy (now more interesting trade option under control for 15/16 at a reasonable cost). Davis and Wieters are almost certain to turn down a QO in 2015, so that's worst case if I can't deal them (I would think I can). Hardy at that cost is fine value for two years given the current state of SS/3B, so I don't REALLY care if I can't move him.

If 2014 goes well I still have this core together for 2015 to go with Gausman/Bundy/Schoop, plus contributions from Wright/Rodriguez/Berry. I'd also try and flip one of Gausman/Bundy to Cubs for a young and cheap 3B (starting those talks this summer). Lots of options open up no matter how 2014 goes.

Peralta signed for 4/53. Sorry, but in the real world I have a problem seeing Hardy sign an extension at 3/36. AND, by the chance that he did, he would have a NT clause in there to compensate for the hometown discount.

If he's healthy he's getting 4/50. You want to up it to 4/53 to match Peralta (who STL targeted early for specific reasons), okay, but that's not going to be Hardy's baseline.

Hey, I'm fine if Hardy doesn't want to sign. Good luck getting the Peralta deal. Hope the AVG/HR don't slip at all, because you're going to be looking at a lot closer to 3/30 if it does. Heaven forbid he spends any time on the DL this year. 1/10? 1/7? Maybe Stephen Drew can give him some pointers.

I'd like both.

One thing I really like about Morales is that he's a switch hitter, so he would allow us a lot more flexibility re: platoons and bench. Essentially we'd have an extra spot to play with. I know that Buck likes to rotate guys through the DH, but he could give Davis a blow at first on occasion if he wants another guy in there. Also, I think this has been mentions, SSS disclaimer and all, but Morales has a great career at OPACY 12 games/50PA: .416/.460/.717/1.177; how much of that is facing Oriole pitching, I'm not sure, but taking the guy's 162 game averages of .282/.333/.430/.813 34 2b/1 3b/27 hr/90 rbi/113 K/43 BB would slot in nicely with this lineup.

If either of those things happen your 3/36 with ideas of trading him won't look so good either.

Good luck getting the Peralta deal? I hear a team in NY might be looking for a SS next year.

There's certainly something to be said on Hardy's part for guaranteeing 3 years of big bucks after this season. Players and their agents certainly understand the wisdom of one in the hand being worth two in the bush.

The offseason has been a disaster. There are some pieces left, but they cost a draft pick. We absolutely should not sign anyone who costs a draft pick.

I like Capuano or Saunders for depth and pick up any Josh Stinsons who get cut at the end of ST.

Priority 1A would be signing Davis for the long term. It's not going to happen. But he would be my priority. Priority 1B would be signing Machado for the long term.

I would move Schoop to 3B and look to trade Hardy. Yes, Hardy is willing to sign for a value contract, but I like the idea of moving him for young pieces and moving Machado to SS. We should have already moved Hardy this offseason, but I understand that we don't think Schoop is ready.

You do what I propose, you stay super young and you get the most value from Machado and Schoop. You have to hope Bundy and Gausman are real and that they are ready to throw 175+innings in 2015.

Archived