Heyman: Cruz and O's agree on deal (1 - $8M)

SoBo

I'm not suggesting Buck will let him put a glove on and go near the field. I'm suggesting Cruz/Boras may still consider Cruz as an OF, not solely a DH, and that may cause problems down the road. Also, maybe the guy hits better when he's playing defense and more involved in the game for three hours. I, too, think he's a serious candidate to fall off a cliff production wise. Obviously, if they sign him I'll pray he puts up huge numbers.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope it's a one year deal with a team option or something like that. I wanted Morales. Not real happy about it but I'll hope for the best.

I would have preferred Morales as well. But, Cruz does improve the lineup, IMO, so all in all, this is good news to me.

EDIT - I should add, if the report does come to fruition.

Not really...I mean, if it's a one year deal for $5 million, sure. I wouldn't complain about that. But what are the odds of Cruz signing such a cheap deal? Whatever contract he signs this winter is likely to be his last, "big" FA contract.

Beyond that, his skill set just doesn't interest me that much. Mediocre average/on-base percentage guy with aging power who doesn't hit very well away from TEX. I think Morales stands a much better chance of substantially improving his production in a new uniform.

You're right, I'd have to see a deal to be certain, but there are very, very few scenarios in which I can imagine myself being OK with a Cruz signing.

There is no chance that this is a "big" FA deal. It's more likely to be a one-year deal. It would be stunning if it were more than 2 years.

Yeah, I agree but if something goes south with Lough batting wise or injury wise, then I could see Cruz getting plenty of LF starts. Buck did play Wilson Betemit and Reynolds at 3rd for quite a while.

Don't see it. Who would your DH be vs. RHP? Right now you'd still be slotting Cruz and Lough into the line-up, and if that is the case, Lough will be the LF. My feeling is that Lough is probably a good enough defender that his hitting would have to drop off the table completely to play himself out of the line-up.

If that did happen, you still need a LHB vs. RHP and whether that is Urrutia, or they still bring in Colvin, or whomever, that person is still as likely to play LF as Cruz.

Don't see it. Who would your DH be vs. RHP? Right now you'd still be slotting Cruz and Lough into the line-up, and if that is the case, Lough will be the LF. My feeling is that Lough is probably a good enough defender that his hitting would have to drop off the table completely to play himself out of the line-up.

If that did happen, you still need a LHB vs. RHP and whether that is Urrutia, or they still bring in Colvin, or whomever, that person is still as likely to play LF as Cruz.

Hopefully we won't have to find out, but not sure Buck would put Urrutia in left over Cruz if that was the choice. Hopefully not necessary.

Archived