Happy Birthday Steady Eddie!

OrangeJerseys

• 11 months later...
Wish I could have seen Eddie play. Happy birthday.

He was such a devastating late-inning and late-season hitter. Any time he came up in a key situation, it felt like all the pressure in the world was on the pitcher. There has rarely been a hitter who looked so fearsome at the plate. He was an extraordinarily intimidating presence.

I hate to break up this vastness of good cheer. But I moved to the Baltimore area from Chicago in the late 1980s. I remember tuning into the radio sports talk shows shortly after I arrived. At that time, I remember many fans wanting to run Eddie out of town. Of course, being an outsider, I wasn't yet familiar with all of the issues. I suspect that it had something to do with contract negotiations. I also remember that, when Cal broke the "Ironman" record, he invited Eddie to the celebration, and this was considered somewhat controversial.

Is my memory correct? Was there a time when Eddie was less than welcome in our town? I know now that Eddie is regarded as a hero, one of the greatest players that ever played for the Orioles.