Farewell to the ACC

Munson

I second TBO sentiments. As a longtime Maryland resident, a graduate of University of Maryland, College Park, and an avid lover of ACC competition, I am REALLY pissed of about Maryland leaving the ACC. And now that their in the Big 10 and don't need money anymore, I have decided to stop my annual contribution to the UMD Athletic Fund. I'll use that money for a trip to see the Orioles in ST next year.

Oh yeah....and screw Duke!

I may take this opportunity to stop paying attention to college sports all together. I could use the time elsewhere. Learning a new league that could just up and change is not appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke can go to hell, which is what the Cameron crazies like to chant.:angryfire: I despise them more than the NYY and that's saying quite a bit. Every year I celebrate when that one sport school loses in the NCAA.

Having said that, I expressed my disgust at MD's leaving the ACC when it was announced, and nothing has changed my mind about that since. 61 years gone, all because the athletic dept screwed up its finances.

Duke can go to hell, which is what the Cameron crazies like to chant.:angryfire: I despise them more than the NYY and that's saying quite a bit. Every year I celebrate when that one sport school loses in the NCAA.

Having said that, I expressed my disgust at MD's leaving the ACC when it was announced, and nothing has changed my mind about that since. 61 years gone, all because the athletic dept screwed up its finances.

I don't like the move either. The thing that keeps me from being really disgusted is that the ACC just isn't the ACC anymore. Conference expansion (started by the ACC) has really killed college basketball. What a shame. Football must be king in all, though.

I don't like the move either. The thing that keeps me from being really disgusted is that the ACC just isn't the ACC anymore. Conference expansion (started by the ACC) has really killed college basketball. What a shame. Football must be king in all, though.

It's not the ACC anymore. I hated the first round of expansion with BC and Va Tech. It's a basketball conference and when they lost the home and home regular season format, they lost me...even though this has been a good tournament.

It's not the ACC anymore. I hated the first round of expansion with BC and Va Tech. It's a basketball conference and when they lost the home and home regular season format, they lost me...even though this has been a good tournament.

They didn't lose me - it just wasn't as good. And I'm sure part of that has to do with the current downturn of MD basketball, but even so, losing the home and home ruined it, as you said. Looking back, I'm pretty sure ACC expansion is what started my general resentment of the sport of football.

They didn't lose me - it just wasn't as good. And I'm sure part of that has to do with the current downturn of MD basketball, but even so, losing the home and home ruined it, as you said. Looking back, I'm pretty sure ACC expansion is what started my general resentment of the sport of football.

You had mentioned that ACC expansion started this re-alignment mess, but didn't the Big East expand first? Didn't they bring in teams like Louisville, West Virginia, Marquette, etc prior to BC, VaTech, and Miami coming to the ACC? Maybe I'm misremembering, which is entirely possible, but I thought the ACC was reacting to the landscape.

You had mentioned that ACC expansion started this re-alignment mess, but didn't the Big East expand first? Didn't they bring in teams like Louisville, West Virginia, Marquette, etc prior to BC, VaTech, and Miami coming to the ACC? Maybe I'm misremembering, which is entirely possible, but I thought the ACC was reacting to the landscape.

The move of Miami and VT, and eventually BC started all of the conference alignment. Some ACC schools initially blocked BC, but they were accepted just a few months after Miami and VT. The Big East then reacted to that by poaching most of Conference USA. Then more teams left and joined this conference and that conference and blah, blah, blah. Now you have many teams in conferences where they "don't belong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_conference_realignment

The 2005 NCAA conference realignment was initiated by the movement of three Big East Conference teams (Boston College, University of Miami, and Virginia Tech) to the Atlantic Coast Conference set into motion events that created a realignment in college football, as 23 teams changed conferences and Army became an independent

It's time for revenue sports to bail on the NCAA and form a 'premiership' above div 1 with paid players and a league structured more like the pros. Conferences are geographically aligned but all teams are competing in one league.

Let non revenue sports and schools with basketball and football now good enough stick with the NCAA setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you REALLY want to go back, the SEC started it by adding Arkansas and South Carolina to get to 12 teams. The Big 12 was formed shortly thereafter and those 2 conferences were the first major conference to split into divisions for pretty much the sole purpose of having a football title game.

But things stabilized for quite a while after that until the ACC did it's thing. And the rest of the dominoes have fallen from there. It's a joke.

Well, if you REALLY want to go back, the SEC started it by adding Arkansas and South Carolina to get to 12 teams. The Big 12 was formed shortly thereafter and those 2 conferences were the first major conference to split into divisions for pretty much the sole purpose of having a football title game.

But things stabilized for quite a while after that until the ACC did it's thing. And the rest of the dominoes have fallen from there. It's a joke.

I've already made a futures bet having UCLA winning the ACC in 2019.

I can't say that I'm broken up about Maryland leaving the ACC.

The Terps were charter members of the conference but it always seemed to me that the conference was run by and for the Carolina schools, at least when it came to basketball. The ACC basketball tournament was almost always in Greensboro, making it a semi-home game for the Carolina schools. The Raycom TV announcers always seemed to have ties to Carolina schools rather than Maryland.

I have even fewer regrets on the football side. The ACC's bowl tie-ins are terrible. The only chance to play on or after New Year's Day is to win the conference. And the non-BCS bowls can in general pick whoever they want, as long as they are bowl eligible, regardless of conference standings, which is how Maryland wound up going to the Military Bowl against East Fricking Carolina in Friedgen's last season despite a 9-3 regular season record and a second place finish in their division.

I'll miss the basketball rivalry with Duke (even though Duke fans were always quick to point out that we're not their rivals). That's about it.

As a Maryland fan for 40+ years I didn't like the move but when you think about it we should have seen it coming. The basketball team has been trending downward since before Gary left. The football team had trouble filling the stadium even during some good years and if the top 2 revenue producing sports aren't producing that's a big problem. Personally I think Maryland has to refocus on their priorities regarding the Athletic Program. Concentrating on student athletes, admission standards, and non revenue sports is fine if you have that luxury but Maryland hasn't for a while. If they continue with this half hearted approach in their new conference they will fall to the back of the pack and be right back in the same position in 5 to 10 years.

Archived