Tommy Hunter Today 2014

Il BuonO

Whether or not he lasts as closer doesn't matter for today. His first save for 2014 is out of the way and get through Ortiz with two runners on to do it. Although, I'd prefer a on, two three inning myself.

The AB by mole rat was frustrating to watch. Tommy can you mix in a breaking ball? He threw a good one in the very next AB and I was yelling,"Why not throw that for strike three to that little!@#$%!!!"

Well, he struck out Bradley so I guess he gets a pass. Wtg, Tommy. Back to work.

IP 1

H 1

R 0

SO 1

W 0

HBP 1

2014 ERA 0.00

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether or not he lasts as closer doesn't matter for today. His first save for 2014 is out of the way and get through Ortiz with two runners on to do it. Although, I'd prefer a on, two three inning myself.

The AB by mole rat was frustrating to watch. Tommy can you mix in a breaking ball? He threw a good one in the very next AB and I was yelling,"Why not throw that for strike three to that little!@#$%!!!"

Well, he struck out Bradley so I guess he gets a pass. Wtg, Tommy. Back to work.

IP 1

H 1

R 0

SO 1

W 0

HBP 1

2014 ERA 0.00

Cool thread. :cool:

Have a greenie.

Ok, once again I'm late to the party with one of these but I'm new at it. Anyway, Tommy is our closer and as such he merits one of these.

3/31 vs Red Sox

IP 1

H 1

R 0

BB 0

SO 0

2014 ERA 0.00

Tommy earned his first save of the year.

Tommy has a tendency to leave balls up out over the plate when he first comes into the game. I was shocked that Davis didn't get an error on a ball that was in his glove and so Tommy gets charged with a run. Otherwise, he limited the damage after the lead off double quite well despite the naysayers.

IP 1

H 2

R 1

BB 0

SO 0

Save 3 of 3

2014 ERA 3.00

Tommy tries to overthrow his FB instead of locate. Rasmus is a guy who likes to get extended. A perfect example was later when Britton was pitching to him and Palmer commented on how he had thrown a FB by him and under his hands he shouldn't be throwing him a breaking ball to speed up the bat. He did, but later struck him out with a FB inner half where he couldn't get extended.

The pitch by Tommy was up in the zone and difficult to hit but since it was away Rasmus could get his arms out.Rasmus could have been guessing FB there. I really thought Hunter should have come back with the slider which he was making him look silly with and which struck him out except for an umpire who apparently was distracted at that moment.

He has to locate his FB down because it is so flat and sometimes he tries to overpower guys with sheer velocity.

IP 1

H 1

R 1

BB 0

SO 0

HR 1

BL S 1

2014 ERA 4.50

Tommy tries to overthrow his FB instead of locate. Rasmus is a guy who likes to get extended.

The pitch by Tommy was up in the zone and difficult to hit but since it was away Rasmus could get his arms out.Rasmus could have been guessing FB there. I really thought Hunter should have come back with the slider which he was making him look silly with and which struck him out except for an umpire who apparently was distracted at that moment.

He has to locate his FB down because it is so flat and sometimes he tries to overpower guys with sheer velocity.

IP 1

H 1

R 1

BB 0

SO 0

HR 1

BL S 1

2014 ERA 4.50

I don't know the book on Rasmus and he was certainly on it, but I didn't think it was a bad pitch by Tommy at all. He started him with 2 curveballs and that HR was a 97 mph that was actually high and out of the strike zone. Not like Hunter threw 6-7 straight fastballs down the middle of the plate. It would be great if TH could locate his FB low and away to a hitter/situation like that, but he's just not that great of a command guy whether he throttles the FB back or not.

I don't know the book on Rasmus and he was certainly on it, but I didn't think it was a bad pitch by Tommy at all. He started him with 2 curveballs and that HR was a 97 mph that was actually high and out of the strike zone. Not like Hunter threw 6-7 straight fastballs down the middle of the plate. It would be great if TH could locate his FB low and away to a hitter/situation like that, but he's just not that great of a command guy whether he throttles the FB back or not.

I don't think it was bad either. Like I said, I really think Rasmus cheated a little and he likes to get extended. If you watch him, he starts with his hands out over the plate and then brings them back in to load. If Tommy makes the same pitch inside he never touches it. But he also was having trouble with his slider.

I get the idea of away, away, but hitters are smart. We have to change their eye line. Hunter made a beautiful pitch with the slider to SO him out under the hands and didn't get rewarded. This will happen with him from time to time but I'm not as down on him as others. I'm just saying because his FB is so straight he had to be smarter how he uses it. He doesn't get the tilt that Tillman does.

BrooksBaseball is a great place to lose a lot of time. Below is the link to the data on Rasmus. So far this year the book has him good on fastballs and terrible on breaking stuff, but the sample size is small and he started the year off in a slump so I don't think there's much meaning to be found as far as his recent tendencies. A quick look at his overall career suggests that breaking stuff is his weakness.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_tabs.php?player=458675&time=month&minmax=ci&var=racat&s_type=16&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=04/13/2014&gFilt=allmlb

That's the road I would have continued on in Hunter's place, but I have a hard time being too critical of him. It was a mistake in judgement but Rasmus clobbered a hard pitch to hit much less hit out.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_landing.php?player=458675

BrooksBaseball is a great place to lose a lot of time. Below is the link to the data on Rasmus. So far this year the book has him good on fastballs and terrible on breaking stuff, but the sample size is small and he started the year off in a slump so I don't think there's much meaning to be found as far as his recent tendencies. A quick look at his overall career suggests that breaking stuff is his weakness.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_tabs.php?player=458675&time=month&minmax=ci&var=racat&s_type=16&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=04/13/2014&gFilt=allmlb

That's the road I would have continued on in Hunter's place, but I have a hard time being too critical of him. It was a mistake in judgement but Rasmus clobbered a hard pitch to hit much less hit out.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_landing.php?player=458675

Since I made my post somebody posted a chart in the other TH thread that Rasmus can hit high fastballs pretty well when he can extend his arms, but I don't recall what the trend was. Also, some discussion that the catcher wanted (and was even set up low and away on that pitch) but TH went up on his own.

In a vacuum, a 97 mph high fastball (actually a bit out of the strike zone) and after 2 curveballs seems like it would be a pretty damn tough pitch to hit. No doubt Rasmus was all over it though.

Admittedly, Tommy was shaky in getting the save today.

That said ........

Tommy essentially had to get 4 outs that inning.

Holt should have been rung up on the 2-2- pitch, before he hit the infield single.

When Pedroia hit the double, there should have been 2 outs, nobody on base, and Tommy NOT pitching from the stretch.

Archived