Orioles in 1st place

oldbird

Now 1/2 game behind the A's and 2 games behind the Angels for best record in baseball.

The Nationals are hot on the Orioles' tail with their ninth straight win. Four out of their last five wins have been walkoffs but I haven't heard a peep about their success being due to luck.

It might also wind up being the Athletics and the Mariners playing each other in the one-game playoff:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

Right now, the only things that would shock me would be if the Orioles DID NOT hang on to win the A.L. East, and if either the Athletics or the Angels did not make the playoffs.

Man, with the Athletics, Mariners, Royals, Tigers, and Orioles (of late), the pitching this post-season is going to be intense.

The Nationals are hot on the Orioles' tail with their ninth straight win. Four out of their last five wins have been walkoffs but I haven't heard a peep about their success being due to luck.

It's because they are a large market club, got to curry favor with those guys. You also don't hear about the Yankees being lucky even with a crappy run differential to go with the above .500 record.

From Buck after the win tonight.

"If you're involved in that Twitter and all that other stuff, I guess you're aware of it. It's another thing for me that ignorance is bliss. I don't go through those boards things, they call them, where all the people weigh in. I'm just glad that somebody cares. It hasn't been a topic here very much in the last... quite a number of years.

Pretty interesting comments and a cap tip to use fans that participate in blogs sites. He also discussed the players talking about the panic by many fans after the Cubs series.

That said I'd still like to see us add another 3B/bat.