Nick's Knocks

Frobby

IMO, depends on how much he "needs" to be paid going forward. I think there are plenty of teams he could start on for several years, at least, but he's probably not going to be paid much (relatively speaking) to do so unless his power spikes.

What do you think is reasonable? $10 mm/yr? $7 mm? $5 mm? Less? I'm guessing Nick can still command about $10 mm/yr in his next deal.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you think is reasonable? $10 mm/yr? $7 mm? $5 mm? Less? I'm guessing Nick can still command about $10 mm/yr in his next deal.

I think Drungo mentioned the other day that three years at $9 million per should be in Nick's neighborhood. I'd want to pay him a bit less than that because I think he's a liability defensively, but 3/27 isn't outlandish. It's those last 3-4 years (i.e., after his next deal) that Nick would have to take a bigger pay hit, IMO. Poor defenders with very little power just can't command that much during their final years in the majors, can they?

I think Drungo mentioned the other day that three years at $9 million per should be in Nick's neighborhood. I'd want to pay him a bit less than that because I think he's a liability defensively, but 3/27 isn't outlandish. It's those last 3-4 years (i.e., after his next deal) that Nick would have to take a bigger pay hit, IMO. Poor defenders with very little power just can't command that much during their final years in the majors, can they?

I wouldn't think so. Of course, players' career paths aren't always predictable as we think so it depends how he does.

Nick's speed drop and drop in outfield range has been dramatic. I highly doubt he gets another big time contract. What we are looking at is a guy that can hit 290 with little power, little speed and play an average at best rf. It's time to move on if he wants anything over 5 mill imo.

Nick's speed drop and drop in outfield range has been dramatic. I highly doubt he gets another big time contract. What we are looking at is a guy that can hit 290 with little power, little speed and play an average at best rf. It's time to move on if he wants anything over 5 mill imo.

Sure, just tell me who you're going to replace him with, and how much you're going to pay that player.

Dariel Alvarez dice "Buenas dias, senor!" ;)

Alvarez (.343/.353/.568 in 48 games at Bowie) is intriguing. Of course, Henry Urrutia hit .365/.433/.550 for Bowie last year over 52 games, so I'm not exactly ready to assume that Alvarez's AA numbers foreshadow success in the major leagues. 3 walks in 208 PA in AA is a pretty big red flag. Can this team really afford to have yet one more hitter who never takes a walk? That's already the biggest weakness of our offense.

Alvarez (.343/.353/.568 in 48 games at Bowie) is intriguing. Of course, Henry Urrutia hit .365/.433/.550 for Bowie last year over 52 games, so I'm not exactly ready to assume that Alvarez's AA numbers foreshadow success in the major leagues. 3 walks in 208 PA in AA is a pretty big red flag. Can this team really afford to have yet one more hitter who never takes a walk? That's already the biggest weakness of our offense.

My opinion is No, unless he's also an excellent outfielder who can steal a base. At some point we've got to get more serious about raising the team's OBP and runs scored instead of being such an extremely station-to-station and long ball offense.

Anyone else totally surprised when Nick doubled in that run with 2 outs yesterday? I love Nick, but it seems like he isn't great at the clutch 2-out AB, though I have zero statistical support of that claim.

So far this year, Nick is only 4 for 28 with 3 walks and 2 doubles in 2-out, runner-on-base situations. He's even worse in 2-out, bases-empty situations: 3 for 24 with 5 walks and a double. Of course, it's a SSS....

Sure, just tell me who you're going to replace him with, and how much you're going to pay that player.

Don't have anyone specific in mind but if we spend the 15 million we are paying Nick, we can do much better. Don't get me wrong, I like Nick. I just don't see him being worth another big contract.

Don't have anyone specific in mind but if we spend the 15 million we are paying Nick, we can do much better. Don't get me wrong, I like Nick. I just don't see him being worth another big contract.

Id like to see people start listing specific players that can replace Nick for under 15 mil. Replace a near .300 hitter, high-end defender, elite arm, and our 2nd best OBP guy. Go ahead.

Looking at the potential FA list the only guys that have that potential are Melky Cabrera and Torii Hunter and honestly id take nick over both of those guys any day.

Thanks for doing that legwork, rep to you! That pretty much confirms my inkling at least for this year. It was nice to see him come through with a classic Nick gapper.

My pleasure. I was actually thinking the stats weren't going to be that bad, but they do end up confirming your impressions. For some baseless reason, I expect Nick to come through once the pennant races heat up late in the season--maybe because it wd be poetic justice after being knocked out of action in late 2012.

Archived