Former Oriole accused of rape

Dr. Unk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like the focus of the thread to move from murder and rape as accusations to the fact that a player we used to have has been accused of both. I am unconcerned about how the legal aspects of any of this work out. I do trust our justice system to weed through this latest civil accusation against a former player which we chose to DFA, despite the fact that he has always had a live arm and despite the fact that he has had success in another organization. Please no more discussion of what the charges are or how to define these terrible charges.

Considering the proverbial " a DA can get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich", I don't see much success for the civil case. She probably hopes he'll settle just to remove the headache of a trial. BTW remember Mike Tyson? I happen to know one of the women who participated in that beauty pageant. She said it was common knowledge among the other participants, that the lady in question went to Mike's room on her own volition and when she came down the next day she was smiling. It was thought she had acquired his vote. When it turned out she hadn't, she accused him of rape. Stuff happens when you have money but aren't one of the elect.

It also didn't help that his "lawyer" was some kind of tax attorney who had absolutely zero experience w/ that type of case and had never worked a rape case or a sexual assault case before.

It's amazing how different Tyson's life might be if he wasn't just another "dumb athlete" and actually had people around him who weren't leaches. If I remember correctly, the girl who accused him had made a similar accusation against someone else a year or two before, but it was thrown out.

I would like the focus of the tread to move from murder and rape as accusations to the fact that a player we used to have has been accused of both. I am unconcerned about how the legal aspects of any of this work out. I do trust our justice system to weed through this latest civil accuation against a former player which we chose to DFA, despite the fact that he has always had a live arm and despite the fact that he has had success in another organization. Please no more discussion of what the charges are or how to define these terrible charges.

Fair enough.

It also didn't help that his "lawyer" was some kind of tax attorney who had absolutely zero experience w/ that type of case and had never worked a rape case or a sexual assault case before.

It's amazing how different Tyson's life might be if he wasn't just another "dumb athlete," and actually had people around him who weren't leeches. If I remember correctly, the girl who accused him had made a similar accusation against someone else a year or two before, but it was thrown out.

He did have people around him who weren't leeches.

Even after Cus D'Amato (1985) and Jim Jacobs (1988) died, he still had Bill Cayton and Kevin Rooney managing and training him.

He kicked them to the curb for Don King and his confederates (John Horne, Rory Holloway, etc.)

Civil Suit. He is not being charged with any crime.

She just wants $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Well if it's only about justice and not about money she can sue him for a dollar. Bet it's for a little more than that, and she isn't giving it to charity.

These quotes are disgusting and make me sick to my stomach. I have no idea what happened between Alfredo Simon and this woman, but neither do either of you who cavalierly state that she's after money. If the woman's allegations are true (which, as I say, none of us knows), she was brutally raped and went straight to the DC police, and unfortunately for whatever reason the state declined to prosecute. The WBAL story doesn't go into as much detail as this USA Today story, and if you can read that without feeling ill, I don't know what to say.

This woman wanted Simon prosecuted and when the state determined there wasn't enough evidence (or whatever), she wanted to get justice and punish Simon for his crime. Suing for $1 wouldn't do that at all. It wouldn't affect his way of life or punish him in any way. That is the point.

Well if it's only about justice and not about money she can sue him for a dollar. Bet it's for a little more than that, and she isn't giving it to charity.

It's about money, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If there were no merit to her case, she had no real physical or emotional damages, and she brought the case simply to extort some money from Simon, that would be a bad thing. But if she wants compensation for actual physical and emotional damages she suffered as the result of improper behavior by Simon, I have no problem with that, it's how our system works.

Surely you are not suggesting that the bolded scenario would not constitute rape. Because that is rape.

No, I am not suggesting that it is not possible for a woman to get so drunk that she is incapable of giving consent, or that it wouldn't be a rape if that happened. I know a woman who had this happen to her, and she had serious emotional problems afterwards that still linger to a degree even though it's been about 8 years since it happened.

It seems weams wants us not to dwell on the nuances of legal cases like this, so I will leave it there.

I always found it kind of funny that a court of law could find you legally not guilty and then a civil court could find you responsible for the crime monetarily. I mean whatever you think about OJ or his murder trial, if a jury found him not guilty of murdering his wife and her lover, then how could he then be found to be responsible for the crime monetarily? The same with this Alfredo Simon case. A grand jury chose not to indict him for a reason.

I always found it kind of funny that a court of law could find you legally not guilty and then a civil court could find you responsible for the crime monetarily. I mean whatever you think about OJ or his murder trial, if a jury found him not guilty of murdering his wife and her lover, then how could he then be found to be responsible for the crime monetarily? The same with this Alfredo Simon case. A grand jury chose not to indict him for a reason.

There's nothing complicated about it. The standard of proof necessary to deprive a person of his liberty and brand him a criminal is higher than the standard required to hold him responsible to pay money damages. And, it should be.

It's been really, really depressing to see some of the ignorant, disgusting comments a couple people have made in this thread. An absolute disgrace, showing no semblance of tact, sensitivity, or common sense. Take a minute and think about what you're posting before making yourself look like a creep.

Archived