Need a new closer AND a new manager

vikkt

We're in first place, we're in the best two and a half year stretch we've had in 17 years, and people want to fire the manager and GM. Unbelievable. I know better than to read threads like these.

This is the same of it. The manager and the GM have done a fine job overall, but are facing the real risk of being run out of town for the inability to obtain a closer/manage the ninth inning. Talk about Achilles' heel.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the same of it. The manager and the GM have done a fine job overall, but are facing the real risk of being run out of town for the inability to obtain a closer/manage the ninth inning. Talk about Achilles' heel.

I meant the "shame" of it.

You guys seriously think Buck and DD are going to just piss away this season. We've had an underperforming season thus far from our offense and defense. Our starting rotation is clearly better, our bullpen (outside of closer) is clearly better and as we sit here in May do we honestly think they aren't brainstorming ways to capitalize on the huge opportunity we have this year to win.

Don't be surprised if this continues to see us sign Morales, pull a trade, move MGon to closer or some other adjustments DD/Buck have up their sleeves to help us produce now. It was proven with the Norris/ KRod trades and the Jimenez/ Cruz signings that we're in "win now" mode. I doubt that has changed over the last 3 games especially with the brutal condition our AL east foes are in.

Take a deeeeep breath, get some rest and join us tomorrow while we put up a 10 spot against Verlander. Enjoy your 2014 AL east champion Orioles, its not going to be pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using

You guys seriously think Buck and DD are going to just piss away this season... Enjoy your 2014 AL east champion Orioles, its not going to be pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using

That's going to be hard to do when the manager's motto is "When it's broke, don't fix it."

Yea let's keep the guy with a 6.60 ERA as our closer. Buck is a good manager but he costs us the playoffs last year with his loyalty to JJ. Hunter cannot close.

I don't think the JJ situation was really comparable. JJ had saved 51 of 54 in 2012. He also saved his first 14 in 2013 and was dominant in doing so (0.95 ERA before he blew his first save). In that scenario, you'll show some patience with a guy. JJ blew three in a row (and four of five) then but I can't blame Buck for sticking with him there. He then rewarded Buck by saving 24 of 26 with a 1.35 ERA over a 10 week stretch. After his three-game meltdown on the West Coast road trip, JJ finished the year with a 1.08 ERA over 17 games. So, unlike Hunter this year, JJ was dominant for long periods of time, and just had a couple of bouts of going haywire. I never felt that JJ should be yanked from the closer role long term, though there were a few times I would have gone to somebody else for a game in the relatively brief periods when he was struggling. Hunter, on the other hand, really was not impressive even before he started blowing saves.

Stubborn, hard headed Buck ruined my evening, 27000 fans and his teammates as we wait for Justin Verlander to pitch tomorrow. Knowing we needed at least one win in this series why would our manager bring his favorite closer back in a 1-0 game. Why? Why? Why? He is averaging almost 2 runners an inning. Why? Why? Why? If he continues to do this the rest of the season like he shoved JJ down our throats last year and cost us a shot at the playoffs he is going to hear boos like he never heard before. DD and the owner need to have a talk with him and soon. Did everyone know what would happen in the 9th inning including Jim Palmer? He has not had a 1,2,3 inning this season so why gamble tonight? Why? Why? Why? I thought Buck was a smart guy. His postgame comments were lame as well.

What did he say? I don't want to hear him speak right now, too angry for that.

I don't think we need a new manager, but that's just me.

I don't either, but for the first time since the start of his tenure, I'm finding myself conflicted about Buck.

To give a little background, I have had blind faith in Buck from the beginning--never once spoke ill of him, rarely doubted him, and defended him numerous times against what I saw as unfair attacks, especially in regards to his decision to stick with JJ as the closer last year when it was clear that it was costing us games.

At least with JJ, Buck had a semi-defensible argument: the guy showed us that he could get the job done in 2012, maybe his mojo was going to come back. What could possibly be Buck's defense this year with Hunter?

Once again, I'm not calling for Buck to be fired and I honestly don't think he's a bad manager, but tonight marks a turning point for me--the blind faith is gone. I was a believer, I'm now a doubter and yes, as much as it pains me to admit, Buck has serious shortcomings that I've been all too willing to overlook for the past two years and that might very well explain why he has never been able to take a team all the way.

I don't think we need a new manager, but that's just me.

I think it's getting to a point where it might be necessary, I love Buck but I'm pretty sure he won't take Hunter out of there, there's a serious flaw in his decision making process that doesn't allow him to see what the whole country can.

I worship Buck. I am confused by this Tommy thing. I'm a big fan of Tommy too, but it ain't working at all. I'd like to see if he could be effective in a different relief role, really curious if he could. His stuff looks pretty good, but he's getting hit by everyone all the time. I vote Miggy Gon for closer

Archived