vs. Texas Rangers, 6/4

weams

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, can't say for sure. Is their pitching for real, that is the question.

Would be nice if the Jays ran into an explosive offense that shells their pitchers. When a staff gets over-worked and shelled, it can take them a long time to recover. Especially the bullpen, since they have to pick up the slack when the starters fail. They need to be put to the test.

In June, after they finish with the Tigers, they run into the Cards, the Twins, us, the Yanks, the Reds, and the White Sox. Out of all those teams, I think we are the most likely team to rake them over the coals.

They face the Brewers later in the season, and as we learned, the Brewers are doing well. That could also be a turning point for them. Let's see.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I'm not impatient at all.  I'm just not sure that Hays and/or Mullins will be productive this season.  I am not calling for Cowser to be demoted as I think he's a long-term solution.  I'm just not confident that a replacement for either of those guys is currently in the Orioles' system. 
    • Barring a rash of injuries, the Os are going to be in the playoffs.  Seeding matters very little but they will either be the 1 seed or the 4 seed imo. That said, the reason I mention this is because we have had a lot of discussions about replacing player X or player Y. The reason to replace this guy or that guy isn’t to improve for the regular season…it’s to improve for the playoffs and give us the best chance to win. With that in mind, by the time the playoffs get here, these are the players the team will be depending on, again barring injury, unexpected (or continuing) awful performanceor any potential trade: Offensive players:  Mounty, Holliday, Henderson, Westburg, Cowser, Mullins, Hays, Santander and OHearn.     Pitchers: Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer, Irvin, Cano, DC, Kimbrel   That is 18 players.  Mateo and McCann will also be on the postseason roster but McCann isn’t likely to see the field, although Mateo will. That leaves 6 spots.  Some of those spots may be filled by internal candidates for the pen or a guys like Mayo, Kjerstad and Norby.  Basallo could get in this picture but his continued slow start makes that even more unlikely than it was. End of the day, the goal the rest of this season should be to get the roster to the point where they can win a title.    For me, that means a few things: 1) Get 1 high leverage reliever and maybe 2. 2) Get Holliday up within the next 6 weeks. 3) Get Mayo playing time in RF now, so he can get up here in the second half and be ready to contribute. They could use his right handed bat. As of now, you don’t trade for an offensive player or a starting pitcher unless there is one there that you can control for several years. The resources the team has should go the pen and getting the right arm(s) for October. We consistently see teams go against the Orioles with these dominant pens where everyone is throwing 98+ with big time swing and miss stuff.  This is what the Os will be facing in the playoffs, so we need Holliday and Mayo to get up here to face that a lot and we need arms to match those guys in the playoffs. For me, the playoffs are a foregone conclusion but success in the playoffs is not. This roster isn’t there yet for that but it can be. 
    • I'm ready for us to move on from Urias.   He's been an ok player for the past few years,  but he's been terrible this year.  It certainly doesn't help when Hyde puts him in high pressure situations,  like last night,  and he inevitably fails, making terrible optics.  I don't know if he's just gotten old fast or what,  but I'm not confident at all that he'll improve back to his career norms. As to McCann, he's fine,  though being used way too much.   I'm fine if we keep him,  and I'm fine if we upgrade his spot.  I have zero concerns with any clubhouse issues from trading or cutting him however.  Unlike Urias, we don't exactly have anyone in AAA that is really pushing for his spot.   
    • Haha, I do think there is some inflated offensive numbers in AAA. I always assumed it was bad defense.
    • The last 164 times they have played, the Yankees are 120-44 against the Twins.
  • Popular Contributors