Draft selections

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>O's scouting dir. Gary Rajisch said club is close 2 signing several picks. Some top 10 rounders it appears. More on MASN pregame 2 day.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">June 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would hope all of those seniors basically sign right away. Would assume Gonzalez has a pre-draft deal in place, as it seems Baltimore was really locked in on him.

I would hope all of those seniors basically sign right away. Would assume Gonzalez has a pre-draft deal in place, as it seems Baltimore was really locked in on him.

This year we should have a quick signing class. Looking forward to seeing if Brandon Bonilla starts fairly high up next year.

This year we should have a quick signing class. Looking forward to seeing if Brandon Bonilla starts fairly high up next year.

I doubt he will. Minimal pitching this year means he might have to take it slow.

Good chance with all of these senior relievers the Orioles could have the fastest Draft pick to MLB in this Draft class. I know it doesn't mean anything but that is something I have always found interesting.

Would be surprised if it wasn't one of the Twins' or Yankees' picks.

BP Did a 2013 redraft. Hunter Harvey number 3.

I participated in that. BP loves Hunter Harvey.

One of the non-BP scouting guys out there in the internet (Kiley McDaniels) did a podcast with Jim Callis and had a quote from a scouting director about Hunter Harvey last year before the draft (paraphrasing):

"I hope he's off the board before I pick. I don't want to draft him, but I also don't want to be known as one of the guys that passed on him."

That basically summed up Harvey's spring. Kiley or Callis (I don't remember who) also said that someone in the Orioles system had this to say about Harvey's early success (again, paraphrasing):

"We thought there was a 50% chance something like this would happen and he'd make a big jump right off the bat, and a 50% chance it might take him a couple of years to develop and put everything together. We were confident he would eventually be a very good ballplayer, but we weren't entirely confident as to when that would happen."

That basically summed up Harvey's spring. Kiley or Callis (I don't remember who) also said that someone in the Orioles system had this to say about Harvey's early success (again, paraphrasing):

"We thought there was a 50% chance something like this would happen and he'd make a big jump right off the bat, and a 50% chance it might take him a couple of years to develop and put everything together. We were confident he would eventually be a very good ballplayer, but we weren't entirely confident as to when that would happen."

DocShorebird, my wife, and several other Hangouters spent every morning in Sarasota watching Rick Peterson and Brian Ward work with Hunter and the Trackman.

Archived