More Biogenesis-Related Suspensions Likely To Occur

Greg

If over 50% were using steriods before the crackdown,I wonder what it is now? I think some of the former Oriole players might be on the list. Two or three. Perhaps one or two are still on the Orioles. I am not sure all the names will get released. You need eevidence.

I am sure it was like the Tour De France and everyone was on Steroids. The guys who weren't on Steroids were stuck in minors. Just look at how the power numbers have gone down. And if they can weed more and people out in the minors (where testing is more stringent) who are cheating before they get to the bigs you will see the power numbers go down further.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I am just wrongly associating steroids with powerful guys. You do have to admit though that Lough wouldn't be one's first guess looking at our roster.

I don't know who to guess. IF you are a big guy you can be muscular naturally. I guess if you see a guy from going to average size to being huge in one off-season that is a good sign.

I don't know who to guess. IF you are a big guy you can be muscular naturally. I guess if you see a guy from going to average size to being huge in one off-season that is a good sign.

Right, that's a good point. Honestly, I think I still think in the 90's mindset of associating roiders with how McGwire, Bonds, and Gimabi were shown on the one South Park episode about steroids. But that's a good point.

Some guys are just built.

I guess it surprises me to see that because when I think of muscled guys, I think of guys who are usually not as fast as he is. I was wrong about Lough's build. Have to admit that I haven't seen a lot of him too.

[video=youtube;25JqCbCOi3c]

I'm hoping they catch a Hall of famer. Good luck moralizing keeping Bonds and Clemens out if the hall is already sullied. (beyond Pud Gavin of course)

Both are royal jerks but both belong in hall. Disgusting. So does Palmeiro. So does Shoeless Joe...but I digress...

Obviously, you can never say no chance with some of these guys, but I'd be surprised if all of these Cubans who have come over recently have issues. I mean, Abreau hasn't even been in the states that long. Trout would have had to be taking stuff since HS - which ARod did, but I expect is pretty rare. We'll see - just not fond of the speculation and accusations.

Youd be surprised if these cubans/dominicans have issues? The same guys who lie about their ages, change their names to hide criminal histories, flea their countries because of their life-long state of living in poverty? The same guys desperate to escape their lives there and make millions of dollars in the US? The same guys that jacked and lean physically?

You do realize that these countries have far less restrictions on drugs like these right? in countries like those you can buy steroids legally over the counter and on the cheap. So explain to me what it matters that Abreu just recently entered the US? The US is one of the most strict places on the planet on steroids. The guys are prime canidates for steroid suspicion.

As far as Trout goes, many many many high schoolers take steroids. its horrible for your health at that age but it is certainly done. trust me.

What's really entertaining (sad?), is that when folks put these lists together they're ultimately just naming the players they don't like/want to see fail.

"Likeable" guys can cheat, too.

Actually I like most of the guys i listed, aside from Encarnacion, Ortiz, and Lawrie. They are just downright dbags.

Many likeable guys have cheated. Brob, Brady (likely but not proven), Palmiero, andy petite, Ryan Braun, Sammy Sosa. But I'm glad i entertained you based of your false presumptions.

Guest rochester
This must be it. Because MLB, as far as I know and I could be wrong, first got onto the scent of Bosch when Manny Ramirez got busted in 2009(?). Does the NFL, for example, not follow up when their players get busted and try and find the source of the PEDs?

And the NBA, they are still very much "head in the sand" when it comes to PEDs.

BUT, when you think about it, shouldn't fans care more about PED use in a violent contact sport like football? I've said this before, it's a cute little turn of phrase :), baseball players use PEDs and records get broken, football players use PEDs and people get broken. Which is more important?

IMO, it may have something to do with the perception of football players and, to a lesser extent, their fans. Generally, football is based on the mentality of violence and survival, hence, the usage of PEDs is not only expected but not really discussed. Heck, concussions finally made it into the discussion.

The NBA has their head in the sand on anything that may hurt the bottom line, period.

Baseball is more of an individual game, and "cheating" is more about the individual only caring about their own success, i.e., selfishness, even if they are used to heal faster.

I used to get all sanctimonious about PEDs but just can't any longer - the motive is too strong to make it stop and someone is always trying to develop ways to beat the tests. I have no clue what the answer is but am just so sick of it, especially when it is en masse, like this.

according to an updated post on MLBtraderumors.com, it could take weeks or months for the names to be released and "it appears at least a few 'fairly significant' but not ?major? names could be linked to PEDs."

I think this works out well for MLB to avoid suspensions during a tough pennant race. If names are not out until September it is doubtful MLB will have mustered enough to hand down suspensions before the playoffs are done.

The inference on the names would also take guys like Pujols out, and maybe Bautista or Ortiz, depending on the interpretation of "major".

Yeah I am just wrongly associating steroids with powerful guys. You do have to admit though that Lough wouldn't be one's first guess looking at our roster.

Look at Lance Armstrong. Steroids don't make your muscles bigger unless you train for muscle hypertrophy. But they still benefit you in a number of other ways.

Lough wouldn't be my first guess obviously. I always thought he looked naturally ripped. He's not 200 lbs.

But anytime you combine athletics and millions of dollars on the line, there's not a single athlete out there that would surprise me if he/she is using.

IMO, it may have something to do with the perception of football players and, to a lesser extent, their fans. Generally, football is based on the mentality of violence and survival, hence, the usage of PEDs is not only expected but not really discussed. Heck, concussions finally made it into the discussion.

The NBA has their head in the sand on anything that may hurt the bottom line, period.

Baseball is more of an individual game, and "cheating" is more about the individual only caring about their own success, i.e., selfishness, even if they are used to heal faster.

I used to get all sanctimonious about PEDs but just can't any longer - the motive is too strong to make it stop and someone is always trying to develop ways to beat the tests. I have no clue what the answer is but am just so sick of it, especially when it is en masse, like this.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the response. Usually when I make statements like that they get completely ignored.

My view on PEDs in baseball is, well, I don't moralize it. PED use doesn't equal bad guy. I'm resigned to the fact that they were much more prevalent in the past then we knew and to the fact that they are not going anywhere despite all efforts, real or perceived. Although, I am against the practice because I would like to see as much of a level playing field as possible.

I do tend to get a little sensitive (has anybody noticed? :)) at what I consider to be quite a bit of hypocrisy in the way PEDs are viewed across sports by media first and foremost and subsequently fans.

Archived