More Biogenesis-Related Suspensions Likely To Occur

Greg

Only because more people abuse alcohol than steroids.

Steroids abuse attack the hormone system and the cardio system, and harmful to the liver, the kidneys and other internal organs.

Once again I don't hear a reason for anything outside of steroids to be on the banned list? Are you then in favor of HGH use in MLB?

I also stand by the idea that if medical professionals were administering and monitoring players then the side effects would be no worse then the side effects of the various pain killers they use now.

The very illegality of the steroids greatly increase the danger.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again I don't hear a reason for anything outside of steroids to be on the banned list? Are you then in favor of HGH use in MLB?

I also stand by the idea that if medical professionals were administering and monitoring players then the side effects would be no worse then the side effects of the various pain killers they use now.

The very illegality of the steroids greatly increase the danger.

Yeah because no one was ever harmed by prescription pain killers or prescription sedatives.

Roid rage is your good reason?

I'm pretty sure alcohol abuse results in more violent outbursts then steroid use.

I will say that if it were legal, and the proper procedures were followed, and the players were monitored by health professionals that roid rage would not be an issue.

While I am on the pulpit, are there any rage side effects of amphetamines or HGH? No? OK then if roid rage is the good reason then we can just let them start using those again. Along with ephedrine and creatine.

Most everyone I know is friendlier when drinking than when not drinking. Also drinking is actually good for you if you aren't binge drinking. Extends your life. I don't think steroids can claim that.

And once again comparing something to something else and saying something else is worse is a bad argument. Unless Alcohol is as substitute for steroids which it is not.

But I don't think we should be putting people in jail for using steroids. I really don't care if you use them outside of competitive sports. My issue is that people who don't' want to endanger their health are put at a disadvantage against those that are. I mean

Yeah because no one was ever harmed by prescription pain killers or prescription sedatives.

Taking drugs incorrectly is the problem when it comes to health effecting side effects.

Steroids done properly and not overly dangerous.

Prescription pain killers used in an abusive manner are dangerous.

Most everyone I know is friendlier when drinking than when not drinking. Also drinking is actually good for you if you aren't binge drinking. Extends your life. I don't think steroids can claim that.

And once again comparing something to something else and saying something else is worse is a bad argument. Unless Alcohol is as substitute for steroids which it is not.

But I don't think we should be putting people in jail for using steroids. I really don't care if you use them outside of competitive sports. My issue is that people who don't' want to endanger their health are put at a disadvantage against those that are. I mean

You are lucky.

As for being life extending, sure steroids are used to treat a great number of medical conditions. You never watched House?

I am not so much in favor of steroids in baseball as I am annoyed by the fact that steroids are, I am sure, epidemic in all sports and I find it frustrating that baseball has the only fan base that seems to care.

Well if a player would be in the HoF but isn't, due to unconfirmed allegations that they used, then you could say that their post baseball careers have been harmed.

So beyond Jeff Bagwell, who else falls under this?

On the flip side, I'd say you have more guys NOT getting in because they were overshadowed by the ROID era. Like a certain first baseman with 10 seasons of 30+ hr's (493 total)....finished in top 10 of MVP voting 7 times. yet won't get a sniff of the HOF due to the ridiculously inflated numbers of the ERA...IMO. His numbers are actually VERY similar to Bagwells, but you won't ever hear his name as a serious HOF candidate.

It took Andre Dawson 9 years to get in.....ROY+MVP+8 time AS+8 gold gloves......How ridiculous is that?

He was being sarcastic toward me Rick.

I do think if you just made steroids super easy to get for everyone it would end up with a lot more bad side effects happening. And a lot more minors would take them. I did get steroids when my throat was swelling up from Mono when I was 19 but I am guessing that is a different type of steroids than what Biogensis was supplying.

Most prescription drugs have bad side effects and from what I have seen are not highly monitored by doctors. I have been given handfuls of many harmful drugs as samples after seeing a nurse practitioner for five minutes once.

I don't see a good point to making it legal. People who want to gain muscle should just go to the gym and work out 5 days a week. That would be much healthier for them.

So beyond Jeff Bagwell, who else falls under this?

On the flip side, I'd say you have more guys NOT getting in because they were overshadowed by the ROID era. Like a certain first baseman with 10 seasons of 30+ hr's (493 total)....finished in top 10 of MVP voting 7 times. yet won't get a sniff of the HOF due to the ridiculously inflated numbers of the ERA...IMO. His numbers are actually VERY similar to Bagwells, but you won't ever hear his name as a serious HOF candidate.

There is a certain catcher whom a great number of folks assume did steroids but there is no proof.

I don't recall seeing proof that Sosa did anything.

OF course you just asked for an example so your choice of Bagwell alone would suffice.

I do think if you just made steroids super easy to get for everyone it would end up with a lot more bad side effects happening. And a lot more minors would take them. I did get steroids when my throat was swelling up from Mono when I was 19 but I am guessing that is a different type of steroids than what Biogensis was supplying.

Most prescription drugs have bad side effects and from what I have seen are not highly monitored by doctors. I have been given handfuls of many harmful drugs as samples after seeing a nurse practitioner for five minutes once.

I don't see a good point to making it legal. People who want to gain muscle should just go to the gym and work out 5 days a week. That would be much healthier for them.

I didn't say "just make them super easy to get". I said if they were properly handled by the medical community.

I don't think there is a "good reason" to ban PEDS. (you still haven't addressed stuff like HGH, creatine, ephedria ect)

It is their choice to ban them of course and I don't really care if they are being used or not.

Drinking to extend someone's life is a slippery slope. Studies have shown that more than 2 drinks a day or 15 drinks in a week for a man of average height and weight is considered too much. Drinking when coupled with certain medication can harm the liver and pancreas. But if you can limit it to a glass of wine or two a day then you are probably ok. But sometimes those two drinks a day can lead to 3, then 4, then 5...

Steroids are very helpful when it comes to many diseases. But using steroids to get ahead in sports is a cheap out.

You are lucky.

As for being life extending, sure steroids are used to treat a great number of medical conditions. You never watched House?

I am not so much in favor of steroids in baseball as I am annoyed by the fact that steroids are, I am sure, epidemic in all sports and I find it frustrating that baseball has the only fan base that seems to care.

I kinda feel like it would be a slippery slope. As you say, steroids and HGH are already legal when prescribed by a doctor for a specific and valid medical reason.

But personally, I don't think simple performance enhancement is a good enough reason to make PEDs legal in sports (not that it's just that simple anyway). The game is plenty entertaining enough for me as it is (and of course I realize that already involves some illegal PED use). And, even if it was legal not all players are going to want to use for whatever reason, side effects, whatever. So again, level playing field.

As for the bolded, I feel exactly the same way. The sports media has a lot to do with that as well.

Yeah. Anabolic Steroids are a completely different animal. Like puppies and bears. Two different animals.

Archived