More Biogenesis-Related Suspensions Likely To Occur

Greg

So beyond Jeff Bagwell, who else falls under this?

On the flip side, I'd say you have more guys NOT getting in because they were overshadowed by the ROID era. Like a certain first baseman with 10 seasons of 30+ hr's (493 total)....finished in top 10 of MVP voting 7 times. yet won't get a sniff of the HOF due to the ridiculously inflated numbers of the ERA...IMO. His numbers are actually VERY similar to Bagwells, but you won't ever hear his name as a serious HOF candidate.

It took Andre Dawson 9 years to get in.....ROY+MVP+8 time AS+8 gold gloves......How ridiculous is that?

Yea, I was pretty annoyed they let him in as well.

It didn't bother me as much as if Morris had made it.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kinda feel like it would be a slippery slope. As you say, steroids and HGH are already legal when prescribed by a doctor for a specific and valid medical reason.

But personally, I don't think simple performance enhancement is a good enough reason to make PEDs legal in sports (not that it's just that simple anyway). The game is plenty entertaining enough for me as it is (and of course I realize that already involves some illegal PED use). And, even if it was legal not all players are going to want to use for whatever reason, side effects, whatever. So again, level playing field.

As for the bolded, I feel exactly the same way. The sports media has a lot to do with that as well.

I look at it the other way. Is there reason to make something illegal? But like I said I am good either way.

I look at it the other way. Is there reason to make something illegal? But like I said I am good either way.

Well, I guess it's illegal (in sports) because of the possibility of abuse and because performance enhancement (again in sports leagues :D) isn't a valid medical reason?

I'm probably not understanding what you mean. sorry. :o

When you consider the slate of drugs that are legal vs. the ones that are illegal it's obvious there is no logic to it. Just a weird mix of fear and tradition. The anti-PED/anti-illegal drug crowd goes into contortions defending alcohol.

I love how a significant portion of them have no problem at all with the decades of illegal amphetamine use.

I love how a significant portion of them have no problem at all with the decades of illegal amphetamine use.

No because amphetamines aren't really PEDs (I love that one).

Silver medal excuse: Mickey Mantle could never be considered a cheater because baseball culture or somethingsomethingsomething.

Things to consider if they were made legal:

- Would pretty much all MLB players then be expected by their teams to take them?

- Would then all minor league players be expected by their teams to take them?

- Would then all HS prospects be pressured to take them?

- Would then many grade school kids start taking them?

- What are the side effects to kids taking them?

- What happens to equity for the folks who can't afford them?

And there are lots more issues to consider. Point being - you really have to think of all the issues before just saying - Legalize them - not just for baseball but for US law. And until the US law changes, how can it even be a consideration for MLB?

- Would pretty much all MLB players then be expected by their teams to take them?

All MLB players are expected to produce, nothing more or less.

They already are under pressure and a lot of them are taking steroids and doing a lot of other drugs.

Hell, some of the kids have over-enthusiastic parents asking surgeons about voluntary Tommy John to give their kids an edge.

Probably pretty bad... not a doctor though I have some background knowledge. I assume this is something worse to take during adolesence but I'd like an expert opinion on that.

This would hardly be the first inequity. Or even the most important one.

And there are lots more issues to consider. Point being - you really have to think of all the issues before just saying - Legalize them - not just for baseball but for US law. And until the US law changes, how can it even be a consideration for MLB?

Ultimately how baseball parallels federal/state law is inconsistent. 50 game bans for roids and what, exactly, for drunkenly beating your wife? Getting DUIs, etc.? Having marijuana mailed to your dog: 0 day suspension. Smoking it as a minor leaguer: 50 games. Lol what.

Yeah, this was kinda the slippery slope I had in mind to. Although I honestly I didn't even really think about it past the professional level.

Yeah, this was kinda the slippery slope I had in mind to. Although I honestly I didn't even really think about it past the professional level.

They can never be legalized nor condoned for this reason alone. Sorry about the greenies. We know better now.

As a private individual who copes with some ailments, hearing stories of what Lance Armstrong was able to do coming back from cancer, or seeing some athletes rebound so quickly from surgery makes me interested in how I could benefit from a medical/guided/conservative plan.

Having said that, RUZIOUS' post pretty much sums up why it should NOT be legal.

All MLB players are expected to produce, nothing more or less.

They already are under pressure and a lot of them are taking steroids and doing a lot of other drugs.

Not saying that you are necessarily in favor of, or arguing for, this. But personally, the idea of professional sports leagues where the expectation is that you take performance enhancing drugs is not one that I can imagine ever being fond of.

Again, it's one thing in baseball where, perhaps, the biggest harm done is we see outrageous numbers being put up. Can you imagine it in a sport like football? I mean, I'm already completely turned off by the game (for various reasons, for over a decade).

Not saying that you are necessarily in favor of, or arguing for, this. But personally, the idea of professional sports leagues where the expectation is that you take performance enhancing drugs is not one that I can imagine ever being fond of.

Again, it's one thing in baseball where, perhaps, the biggest harm done is we see outrageous numbers being put up. Can you imagine it in a sport like football? I mean, I'm already completely turned off by the game (for various reasons, for over a decade).

Plenty of outrageous numbers were put up in the deadball era. Did Bonds do anything more outrageous then Cy Young or Old Hoss?

Plenty of outrageous numbers were put up in the deadball era. Did Bonds do anything more outrageous then Cy Young or Old Hoss?

"Well, sir, I'm not here to talk about the past. I'm here to talk about the positive and not the negative about this issue."

Archived