More Biogenesis-Related Suspensions Likely To Occur

Greg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at Lance Armstrong. Steroids don't make your muscles bigger unless you train for muscle hypertrophy. But they still benefit you in a number of other ways.

Lough wouldn't be my first guess obviously. I always thought he looked naturally ripped. He's not 200 lbs.

But anytime you combine athletics and millions of dollars on the line, there's not a single athlete out there that would surprise me if he/she is using.

I also think people have to be careful labeling everything a "steroid". There's a lot of makes and models, so to speak, for PEDs that don't medically qualify as a steroid. I don't doubt Biogenesis was serving up all kinds of stuff.

I also think people have to be careful labeling everything a "steroid". There's a lot of makes and models, so to speak, for PEDs that don't medically qualify as a steroid. I don't doubt Biogenesis was serving up all kinds of stuff.

A lot of the growth hormones as well. And of course the "anti-aging" stuff. Lets face it, it's called the steroid era because of Bonds, McGwire and Sosa getting bigger than houses. Like Eastern European Weight-lifters. And of course that was the main thing they used.

I feel bad for the AAAA guys who want to stay clean and healthy, and are trying to make a living competing against guys they may be better than, but PED's are giving the other guys the edge.

Yep. Me too. But very, very, very few of them would ever have a chance. Even on a completely level field. Very, very, few. The odds of becoming a good MLB baseball player are astonishingly low. Like, non-existent. Like hoping to become a space traveler low.

I don't care about PED's . If it were up to me they'd be legal. I just hope Manny doesn't get another black eye.

Well then argue for the Feds to make them legal. But since they're not, they should be illegal in professional sports as well.

We'll see - just not fond of the speculation and accusations.

I understand your point, but the players who used PED's did this...especially dbags like Arod, Ortiz, and Braun....they have brought this on themselves and all other players with their lies, cheating and defiance....are some innocent guys under question? Yeah, probably....although I can't think of any innocent guys whose career has been harmed. Are there still dozens, if not hundreds, of players who haven't been caught or questioned? Absolutely.

I understand your point, but the players who used PED's did this...especially dbags like Arod, Ortiz, and Braun....they have brought this on themselves and all other players with their lies, cheating and defiance....are some innocent guys under question? Yeah, probably....although I can't think of any innocent guys whose career has been harmed. Are there still dozens, if not hundreds, of players who haven't been caught or questioned? Absolutely.

Well if a player would be in the HoF but isn't, due to unconfirmed allegations that they used, then you could say that their post baseball careers have been harmed.

Do we really need to debate roid rage and the consequences?

Roid rage is your good reason?

I'm pretty sure alcohol abuse results in more violent outbursts then steroid use.

I will say that if it were legal, and the proper procedures were followed, and the players were monitored by health professionals that roid rage would not be an issue.

While I am on the pulpit, are there any rage side effects of amphetamines or HGH? No? OK then if roid rage is the good reason then we can just let them start using those again. Along with ephedrine and creatine.

Roid rage is your good reason?

I'm pretty sure alcohol abuse results in more violent outbursts then steroid use.

I will say that if it were legal, and the proper procedures were followed, and the players were monitored by health professionals that roid rage would not be an issue.

Only because more people abuse alcohol than steroids.

Steroids abuse attack the hormone system and the cardio system, and harmful to the liver, the kidneys and other internal organs.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• 27k  for a weekday day game in early May is impressive.  Against the Yankees or not.
    • You're new here.  No one has ever won an argument with Sports Guy no matter how much the facts are on his side.
    • Tell you what, if it was McKenna there’d be a ten page thread on it. But since we’re still in Cowser’s honeymoon phase, it’ll slide. 
    • No.  I just like making fun of CoC from time to time. 
    • 27,299 for today’s matinee, so 96,612 for the four game set.  Will do my part by heading to the Yard next Friday for the first time this season - can’t wait! 
    • This was an interesting and in-depth reply from MLBTraderumors.   Q: Mason Miller and Lucas Erceg are amazing, and totally wasted on the A’s right now, despite them playing better than expected. But any trade would best be for solid prospects-SEVERAL solid prospects- who are 2-3 seasons away instead of MLB-ready guys who would also be wasted on the current and near-future teams. Given that, what team has those far away prospects to pay for one of those splendid slingers? A: This brings up a philosophical question: should bad teams have nice things?  Mason Miller provides a reason to watch the A’s, and his season has been insane so far.  And while he’s under team control through the 2029 season, we can’t count on him to hold up or on this franchise to be willing to pay him those last few years if he does. So the cold-hearted logical answer is for the A’s to trade Miller as soon as possible, as he might be at peak value and could be a lot less valuable the next time this organization has a realistic shot at contending.  (I am aware that the A’s are not awful so far this year at 15-17, but I do not think they have a realistic chance at making the playoffs anytime soon). It’s worth considering that Miller was a starter in college and all through the minors.  He came down with a “mild UCL sprain” in mid-May of last year, which involved a four-month recovery period and short appearances when he returned in September. A’s GM David Forst explained to MLB.com’s Martin Gallegos last Decemberthat he’d like to see Miller stay healthy for a year as a reliever before the team considers moving him back into a starting role.  When a pitcher excels as a closer to the degree Miller has thus far, it’s often hard to get him out of that role, but if he can eventually transition back to starting, he could theoretically be even more valuable.  But given last year’s UCL sprain and the attrition rate of the game’s hardest throwers, there’s a pretty good case that Miller is indeed at peak value right now. I don’t know where the hell the A’s are going to be (as an organization) in 2026, when Miller will receive his first arbitration salary. Given the extra uncertainty around the franchise these next few years, Phillip’s case makes some sense: trade Miller (and/or Erceg) now for prospects who are several years away from the Majors. The problem with this idea is that a prospect’s uncertainty is higher the further away he is from the Majors.  Trading Miller this summer might require threading the following needles: The other team is very much in win-now mode The headline prospects you get back should be position players, since this is about mitigating risk The headline prospects you get back should perhaps be in Double-A: close enough to the Majors to have some certainty, but far enough away where you could wait at least a year to promote them So, top-ranked Double-A position player prospects on win-now somewhat likely (40% or better chance) playoff teams: Samuel Basallo, Orioles catcher Chase DeLauter, Guardians outfielder Cole Young, Mariners infielder Harry Ford, Mariners catcher Emmanuel Rodriguez, Twins outfielder Matt Shaw, Cubs infielder Kevin Alcántara, Cubs outfielder James Triantos, Cubs second baseman Dalton Rushing, Dodgers catcher/DH Spencer Jones, Yankees outfielder Jacob Melton, Astros outfielder A lot of these teams are able to assemble good bullpens without giving up top prospects, and therefore might not be in the Miller bidding.  The Cubs, though, are a good example of a team with the type of prospect that it could make sense to flip for Miller.  It all might be too cute, though – maybe just enjoy Miller where he is now.  It’s also worth keeping in mind that the A’s have not exactly hit home runs in trying to convert established good players like Matt Olson, Matt Chapman, Chris Bassitt, and Sean Manaea into prospects.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now