The Countdown to 90 wins

SilentJames

The Orioles need only to go 15-17 the rest of the way to get to 90 wins.

The Yankees need to go 22-10 to match that.

If the Orioles and Yankees split their remaining eight games:

The Orioles would need to go 11-13 to get to 90, The Yankees: 18-6.

The division is the Orioles' for the taking.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After tonight

Orioles need to play 15-16 ball to reach 90

Yankees need to play 21-10 ball to reach 90

Those 8 games head to head will be huge.

After tonight

Orioles need to play 15-16 ball to reach 90

Yankees need to play 21-10 ball to reach 90

Those 8 games head to head will be huge.

The Yankees beat David Price like he has probably never been beaten before. 12 hits in 2 innings! The '27 Yankees would have been jealous of that kind of violence. The Yankees are very capable of playing 21-10 ball, and if they win 3 of 4 from us in Camden Yards, watch out.

The Yankees beat David Price like he has probably never been beaten before. 12 hits in 2 innings! The '27 Yankees would have been jealous of that kind of violence. The Yankees are very capable of playing 21-10 ball, and if they win 3 of 4 from us in Camden Yards, watch out.

Considering they haven't been able to sustain that kind of play all year -I doubt it.

Also, considering that we have been told to "watch out" for the Yankees multiple times this year as well as the Jays, and Rays - and each time it has proven fruitless.

The Orioles Just need to win 15 games - that is it. If they do that it means the Yankees have to do something they haven't done all year just to tie. There is a reason why the team has a 13% chance to make the postseason and the Orioles a 96% chance.

Can't compare the last 5 months to the next month

The Yankees have made significant improvement to their roster

Heck, cutting BRob was a huge addition by subtraction.

They now have legitimate ML'ers at every position... in fact every postion is manned by an ex all star:

Headley AS

Jeter AS, HOF

Prado AS

Tiexeira AS

Beltran AS

Ellsbury AS, top 5 MVP

Gardner, not sure if he ever made AS team but an extremely good player

McCann, AS

Compare that to the O's

1B Pearce, journeyman having best year of his life (will it last)

2B Schoop, great defender, slowly improving as a hitter

SS Hardy, AS,SS,GG

3B CD, weak defensively, worst hitter in majors this year

LF: Delmon Young... a disaster waiting to happen on every ball hit to him

CF: Jones, AS,GG

RF: Markakis, Never an all star, but like Gardner one of the best players on the team

C : Hundley/Joseph, overachieving but not much on offense

If they get Tanaka back, they are very capable of better than a 21-10 run.

They are the Yankees and until we beat them they are still very alive.

Considering they haven't been able to sustain that kind of play all year -I doubt it.

Also, considering that we have been told to "watch out" for the Yankees multiple times this year as well as the Jays, and Rays - and each time it has proven fruitless.

The Orioles Just need to win 15 games - that is it. If they do that it means the Yankees have to do something they haven't done all year just to tie. There is a reason why the team has a 13% chance to make the postseason and the Orioles a 96% chance.

The Orioles also have the wild card as a possiblity. If they do get to 90 wins then two of three of the Yanks, Tigers and Mariners have to get to 90. The Tigers have looked very shaky lately and with Sanchez set back, Verlander not pitching well and Price who had nothing on the fastball last night they may struggle to get to 90. The Mariners have a brutal stretch the rest of the season. They have 30 games left and 16 are vs the Angels, A's or Nats which will make it tough to get to 90 wins IMO.

They now have legitimate ML'ers at every position... in fact every postion is manned by an ex all star:

Headley AS

Jeter AS, HOF

Prado AS

Tiexeira AS

Beltran AS

Ellsbury AS, top 5 MVP

McCann, AS

Compare that to the O's

SS Hardy, AS,SS,GG

RF: Markakis, Never an all star, but like Gardner one of the best players on the team

I didn't realize we used the time machine back to 2009. Well at least for the Yankees players but our guys you use some past things with Pearce but then present with Davis.

I didn't realize we used the time machine back to 2009. Well at least for the Yankees players but our guys you use some past things with Pearce but then present with Davis.

2009??

Headley, AS,GG,SS, MVP-5 in 2012

Prado, MVP-20 in 2012, 105 OPS+ in 2013

Beltran, AS in 2012 and 2013

Jeter, AS every year from 1990's

Ellsbury, AS in 2013, 15th in MVP voting 2013

McCann, AS in 2013

The Yankees have a very good starting 9, the addition of Headley and Prado was huge

Headley AS

Jeter AS, HOF

Prado AS

Tiexeira AS

Beltran AS

Ellsbury AS, top 5 MVP

McCann, AS

Compare that to the O's

SS Hardy, AS,SS,GG

The Yankees got McCarthy on July 6, Headley (.697 OPS for them so far) on July 22, Prado on July 31 and Pineda returned on August 13. They're 14-10 in August. We're 15-9. I seriously doubt the Yankees finish 21-10. I'm not saying its impossible, but it's not likely at all.

Our 8-3 record against New York is historical. Moving forward, matching up our current healthy roster with their current healthy roster, I get nervous. They added a lot of pieces in the summer....we added very little. But even more so than this, their players have so much pennant race (and playoff) experience. How many playoff games combined are on their roster? How many are on ours? This is historical data as well, but I always favor the team and players who have been there before and have proven they can handle the big moments.

Ideally, we win the division before that scary road trip to end the season. But let's say somehow we are tied with NY going into that last week of the season. They have 4 games against us in NY. How do you really think we would fare in that situation? If we are tied in the bottom of the 9th with Ichiro leading off (which he somehow always does in the 9th inning of close games), do you believe that there is any way he doesn't reach first base?

The Orioles also have the wild card as a possiblity. If they do get to 90 wins then two of three of the Yanks, Tigers and Mariners have to get to 90. The Tigers have looked very shaky lately and with Sanchez set back, Verlander not pitching well and Price who had nothing on the fastball last night they may struggle to get to 90. The Mariners have a brutal stretch the rest of the season. They have 30 games left and 16 are vs the Angels, A's or Nats which will make it tough to get to 90 wins IMO.

I hate that with a 6 game lead almost in September any O's fans are even thinking about wildcard, but I must admit the same thought has occurred to me.

Still, we are 94% to win the division according to the playoff probability model. Even if you adjust for the Yankees' improvements we are still an overwhelming favorite. They have gotten hot the last 10 games but still only made up one game. We just need to keep winning.

I hate that with a 6 game lead almost in September any O's fans are even thinking about wildcard, but I must admit the same thought has occurred to me.

Still, we are 94% to win the division according to the playoff probability model. Even if you adjust for the Yankees' improvements we are still an overwhelming favorite. They have gotten hot the last 10 games but still only made up one game. We just need to keep winning.

I think the trend is really the issue, as opposed to the 6 game lead itself. If we were tied with NY two weeks ago and then expanded to 6, people would feel much better and nobody would be talking wild card. (Probably how KC Royals fans feel now, having built on their lead over Detroit). But we were 9 1/2 up on NY last week and now we are at 6.

I think the trend is really the issue, as opposed to the 6 game lead itself. If we were tied with NY two weeks ago and then expanded to 6, people would feel much better and nobody would be talking wild card. (Probably how KC Royals fans feel now, having built on their lead over Detroit). But we were 9 1/2 up on NY last week and now we are at 6.

Plenty of opportunity to widen the gap again a couple of weeks from now. #masteroftheobvious

Archived