Any concern over the pen?

LAOSfan

1. I'm not very worried about the health of O'Day and Miller. They have some minor tweaks and Buck has been fortunate not to really need them the last few days. I expect both to be ready and available when we need them.

2. Having both is a luxury, not a necessity. We were in first place before acquiring Miller, and our bullpen had done a solid job with Britton and O'Day handling the 8th and 9th and Buck mixing and matching before that. He can do that again if either O'Day or Miller is unavailable, and for the rest of the regular season he's got extra options in the pen. So, I'd really only worry if BOTH went down for a significant period of time, which is not that likely.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. I'm not very worried about the health of O'Day and Miller. They have some minor tweaks and Buck has been fortunate not to really need them the last few days. I expect both to be ready and available when we need them.

2. Having both is a luxury, not a necessity. We were in first place before acquiring Miller, and our bullpen had done a solid job with Britton and O'Day handling the 8th and 9th and Buck mixing and matching before that. He can do that again if either O'Day or Miller is unavailable, and for the rest of the regular season he's got extra options in the pen. So, I'd really only worry if BOTH went down for a significant period of time, which is not that likely.

Well, if they are both down, we won't go far.

Well, if they are both down, we won't go far.

As I stated, if they BOTH went down for the postseason, I would be concerned.

Concerned ...... but far from hopeless and/or presuming that they will get eliminated quickly in the postseason.

This team has been winning consistently since late May/early June, in spite of injuries (and a suspension) to several key players. And they have done much better than many expected against a lot of formidable foes and formidable starting pitchers, such as when they went 10-6 over a 16-game block against the top 3 West Coast teams, immediately following the All-Star break.

To me, the 2014 Orioles have proved that they are a complete team, capable of dealing with adversity ...... and because of that, I wouldn't count them out, even if they are faced with additional burdens on top of the ones that they have already sustained.

I don't see how anyone cannot be concerned about O'Day right now. An injured/ineffective O'Day would be worse than the losses of Wieters and Machado combined. This team does not work properly without O'Day doing his thing.

There is time for him to, hopefully, get things straightened out. Same with Miller, but the decrease in his fastball velocity is concerning. He did touch 95 today I believe, but he was sitting 95 and touching 97 when he first arrived.

There is time for him to, hopefully, get things straightened out. Same with Miller, but the decrease in his fastball velocity is concerning. He did touch 95 today I believe but he was sitting there and touching 97 when he first arrived.

Exactly. And if he continues to be ineffective (which is very unlikely), Gausman can pitch big innings in the playoffs. Also, Tommy has been very good lately.

I thought about clarifying my statement when I wrote it but I didn't so, my bad. I didn't mean they were similar in so much as what they throw but more so in that, imo, Gausman could be equally as effective out of the pen as Miller, they throw hard, as well as being tall and lanky like Miller (although I know he is not as tall as Miller). That's all I meant.

O'Day looked back to his normal self tonight in the 8th.

Yes.

And Hunter continues to be solid overall, as well.

Right now, I believe that it's Hunter and Britton pitching well, and Miller and O'Day looking better in their most recent outing than they had in their previous 2 outings.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, it's very important to get AT LEAST one of those two (O'Day and/or Miller) back on track by the postseason to take some pressure off of the starters.

It would be icing on the cake if Brad Brach were able to return to his dominant form, as well.

Archived