Any concern over the pen?

LAOSfan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton has pitched among the most innings in baseball for a reliever. I'd like to see him rested a bit more. I obviously don't want us to lose games; so I guess I hope we start winning our games by more than 3 for a bit of what's left of the year. I get that we're playing for home field at this point, but I wish we'd use some of rested bullpen/Ubaldo.

Britton is high on that list because he started the year in long relief. He hasn't pitched more than 1 inning since June 6th. He's thrown 18+ pitches in a game only three times since June 20th. And his sinker loses action when he doesn't get regular work (see his last blown save 1st game after the All-Star break). August was his lowest month in innings pitched. And last night's 14 pitch save was the most he's thrown since Aug. 13th.

So I kind of agree with the sentiment concerning close games, but I'm happy to see Britton get his work in.

I think what is happening in some of the recent high scoring games, is that guys are going out there only for the purpose of getting some innings. While these are still real games they are not the normal situations that some of them are accustomed to being used. Would it be better to continue to have them all be lights out? Sure.

That said, we have managed to not blow any of these games. What we are doing is continuing to win, albeit in a different fashion than we have grown accustomed.

I am not worried, but I have noticed as have you.

No, not worried. I think Brach was due for a correction, and O'Day may have been thrown off by being used in a game that wasn't his usual situation (5-run lead).

I think Brach was not as bad as his line showed last night. It was a very difficult night for pitchers IMO with the ump. I am not saying the ump was bad he just had a tight zone the entire night and anything on the edge was called a ball. There were quite a few pitches from all the pitchers that most night are called strikes. Leake had a bunch close ones early on. Brach was off on his command for sure but a few of those that were called balls early in the count could have went his way. He had a great slider to start of Marasco on the outer half that was called a ball. When you are struggling some those little things make it very difficult on you becuase then he missed with a pitch and was in the hole 2-0.

They've been really bad as of late.

And Buck is to blame partly. USE YOUR EXPANDED ROSTER. Yesterday was the perfect game for it. I swear, it's the same guys w/ Buck. Classic overuse.

The O's have exactly 2 relievers among the top 75 in innings pitched this year- Britton (8th), O'Day (34th).

I'm always worried

O'day was way off his last game, and I immediately get concerned about an arm injury, very interested in him getting back out their

worried about Miller's hamstring and whether he will be back and at peak effectiveness by the playoffs

Britton has never been a closer in the playoffs, and so we'll just have to see how he handles the mental aspect.

Archived