Any concern over the pen?

LAOSfan

PSST, You can't use facts to win a debate in OH. :):):):):):)

:rofl:

The O's have exactly 2 relievers among the top 75 in innings pitched this year- Britton (8th), O'Day (34th).

Buck uses his bullpens better than anyone. Guys get sore. Guys get rusty. Defense changes with new bodies. If in fact O'Day and Miller are done for the season I'll worry about how Brad Brach will bounce back. Until then, I'm fine.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you have other options, you're overusing your regulars.

There are only 3 guys I'm particularly concerned about, and I don't think any of them are being overused- O'Day, Miller, Britton. A little lower than that for me are Hunter and Matusz. Those are the 5 most important guys for the playoffs, imo.

The primary concern should be locking up the division in the next 2 weeks. At that point if you want to start closing games with Saunders and Meek, go ahead.

...The primary concern should be locking up the division in the next 2 weeks. At that point if you want to start closing games with Saunders and Meek, go ahead.

NO NO NO. I want home field advantage. We don't even think about taking the foot off the gas until we catch Anaheim and clinch that, or until the possibility is eliminated.

I think they're in a great situation with the pen. Nobody is over-relied on, and nobody's been over-worked. I didn't expect Brach to play a significant role - if any - in the post-season unless a starter goes down very early, so him doing poorly isn't a concern.

I thought the defense bailed Britton out last night. I didn't think he looked all that great.

Flaherty and Hardy made nice plays. There was also a bloop hit against the shift and a swinging bunt. He threw 14 pitches, 9 strikes. Again, if that is the not-sharp version of Zach, I'm pretty happy.

Flaherty and Hardy made nice plays. There was also a bloop hit against the shift and a swinging bunt. He threw 14 pitches, 9 strikes. Again, if that is the not-sharp version of Zach, I'm pretty happy.

I was just making the point that i don't think the amount of hits and walks he's given up recently is proof of whether or not he's been sharp. I certainly don't want to have to count on the defense (as good as it is) to have to make plays like that regularly in the 9th inning of close games.

The O's have exactly 2 relievers among the top 75 in innings pitched this year- Britton (8th), O'Day (34th).

I agree with the point, but Miller is tied for 70th/71st/72nd/73rd.

When you have other options, you're overusing your regulars.

Who is being overused ?

Relief IP and appearances in August:

O'Day 10 games 10.2 ip

Brach 12 games 12.2 ip

Miller 12 games 12.0 ip

Matusz 9 games 8.1 ip

Hunter 11 games 12.0 ip

Britton 12 games 11.2 ip

McFarland 7 games 11.1 ip

Jimenez 2 games 4.1 ip

Phenomenal !!

In September so far, every start has been 6 ip or more and no reliever has pitched more than 2 games. Hunter leads the way with 2.1 ip.

Yes, guys are showing some fatigue. By itself, that doesn't mean they've been overworked.

NOTE: I do agree with the sentiment that Showalter should be looking for the opportunity to spread around the work in September. I also agree with those who pointed out that it's a fine line being balanced to keep guys fresh and keep them in their groove with work.

I was just making the point that i don't think the amount of hits and walks he's given up recently is proof of whether or not he's been sharp. I certainly don't want to have to count on the defense (as good as it is) to have to make plays like that regularly in the 9th inning of close games.

I'm pretty sure hits and walks are fairly good indicators of sharpness. One of two things would need to happen for me to worry about Britton- a lot of balls/walks or a lot of flyballs. He is an extreme GB pitcher- he's counted on his defense all year.

Unless you've got diarrhea.

You know, I have learned to be prepared for everything doing my job. There's not anything that either myself or my clients have not experienced to one degree or another while riding in my vehicle.

Even if they are having their worst day I don't contribute to that. And often they feel at least a bit better after having exited the car.

Archived